TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: flooded and fouled
dirtkeeper Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:43 pm

well i have run down some gremlins and finally got my idle jets to stop plugging. Got a new 010 distributor that helped a lot.

Now i have had a problem a couple times where I floored the gas , i think both times in 2nd gear , when my rpms were only about 2-2300k Suddenly sounded and drove crappy. Like i lost a cylinder or two. Both times i think i was coming out of a turn if that matters

First time i got in a drove the next day it was fine.. 2nd time it barely drove the next day but later on in the day i drove it and after about 20 miles cleared up and ran good again.

So I am speculating that i flooded it and fouled a plug.

My question is how can i fix it? or do i just avoid doing that?.. I mean i dont seem to have problems normally because I normally dont just floor the gas pedal until i am already up at a reasonable rpm like 2800-3000 and it has no problems accelerating or fouling when floored then.

Second if someone can explain or confirm what a "fouled" plug is. I think it is when the plug gets covered with so much gas that it wont spark or it has so much crud on it that it wont spark. Is unfouling a plug as simple as drying the gas off or cleaning them up or do plugs actually get fouled for good (dead plug)? Any insight is appreciated

78.8 x 90.5
engle 100 cam
stock heads with some mild port and polish
low compression 7.2 : 1 area
dual webers 40's w/ 120 m, 200 air and 50 idle

bugguy1967 Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:32 pm

I wonder if your ultra low compression has something to do with your tuning issues. It's time to rent a wideband and figure out how your engine is running.

bugguy076 Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:30 am

You need to check the float heigth in the carb(s). Too much fuel in the carb will slosh around in turns. Also check fuel pressure. Too high fuel pressure will push fuel past seat.

dirtkeeper Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:14 pm

bugguy076 wrote: You need to check the float heigth in the carb(s). Too much fuel in the carb will slosh around in turns. Also check fuel pressure. Too high fuel pressure will push fuel past seat.

I may check my floats again. Not to long ago I did check and they were to spec.

I don't have problems on turns or like I say under normal driving. So I don't know If the floats or pressure would be the problem. I can go around turns plenty fast and over wup de doos on dirt roads without flooding. It seems only when I give too much gas at a low rpm that I have a problem.

I am unfamiliar with wideband and testing but sound like s good idea. I am on the look out for a good vw engine mechanic in the Santa Cruz ca. Area who might be able to do those tests and raise my compression. I wanted reliable so that may be why the builder went so low compression but everything I read say it should be higher. I have a feeling the low compression is causing my high temperatures .

stan_tichomirov Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:47 pm

Not too close to Santa Cruz, but there is Jansen Enterprises in Belmont.

Are you sure your fuel is clean and you aren't clogging up an idle jet? I had very similar issues recently, drove me nuts. I'd run the car hard then start sounding like I'm missing a cylinder below 3K. I'd check the plugs, but you shouldn't be too rich with those jets.

I've fouled the plugs a few times with rich jets, but drove around with leaner mixture for a while and they cleaned up.

Stan

dirtkeeper Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:34 pm

stan_tichomirov wrote: Not too close to Santa Cruz, but there is Jansen Enterprises in Belmont.

Are you sure your fuel is clean and you aren't clogging up an idle jet? I had very similar issues recently, drove me nuts. I'd run the car hard then start sounding like I'm missing a cylinder below 3K. I'd check the plugs, but you shouldn't be too rich with those jets.

I've fouled the plugs a few times with rich jets, but drove around with leaner mixture for a while and they cleaned up.

Stan

i may give Jansen a call

I am pretty familiar with the plugged jets and i dont think this is the case here. The crappy running comes into play at the upper rpms above 2500-3000 and it runs out of power with any load at those rpms. when i had plugged jets it would run great in the upper rpms but dog it and spit putter in the low rpms. below 2700.

stan_tichomirov Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:48 pm

I'd try 130 and 115 mains to see what it does.

I have the same carbs on 1835 and 135/140 mains worked okay with 32mm vents. Then I put 28mm vents back in -- with 130 mains it felt heavy at high RPM so I changed to 115s and it's decent. I have a wideband but haven't hooked it up yet.

Stan