TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: E-brake rod replacement....
GreggK Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:19 pm

Hello all, Ive been looking to replace the front section of my e-brake system. Im talking about he section that attaches to the handle and then goes back to where the two cables branch off to the drums. Ive been calling it the front e-brake cable or rod only because that is what volks-cafe called it on their site, which they are out of. Some samba members were confused when Id ask if they had any and thought I had an e-brake for my front wheels.
So I am finding no luck locating one and wondered if anyone has replaced theirs using something other than the original design or part. Thanks GreggK

drossen Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:54 pm

Did you try calling bus depot? Or gowesty used parts? Or call a junkyard and see if you can go pull one or have one pulled or shipped.

I just re did my E brake system and couldn't find a front rod either, but thankfully mine was only somewhat corroded in the very back and fine to re use after some scrubbing.

Your best bet is probably a used part that is in better condition then yours or see when Van cafe will have that back in stock if ever.

insyncro Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:13 am

I bought a bunch from Van Cafe.
They are a perfect fit and really make adjusting the system a breeze.

If they are NLA, I will have them reproduced, but no timeline on that, nor a price at this time.

GreggK Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:51 pm

Volks café has the front replacement rods in stock. I just ordered one.

snwbrdr435 Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:00 am

Is the cable that vancafe sells interchangeable with the rod?

insyncro Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:15 am

snwbrdr435 wrote: Is the cable that vancafe sells interchangeable with the rod?

Links?

I don't think so.

snwbrdr435 Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:27 am

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_2076_643/front_e-brake_cable.html

insyncro Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:06 am

snwbrdr435 wrote: http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_2076_643/front_e-brake_cable.html

That is the rod.

syncrodoka Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:17 am

The parts are not interchangeable.
The rod goes from the e-brake handle to the equalizer bar under the van. From the equalizer bar to the rear brakes is the emergency brake cable. VC stocks all of those parts.

snwbrdr435 Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:14 pm

:D I know that I have the end of it on the work bench...

Vancafe link I posted earlier has the rod listed under front e-brake cable. I wasnt sure if it was something different.