TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Changed Alternator now starts and dies 1982 VW Westfalia
Traderjohnny805 Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:41 pm

Hello
This is what I have done so far, New key ignition, New starter, new CDI and coil this helped my van run so much better... New fuel relay, I have found bad vacuum lines and replaced them, it still ran good before I replaced them. Now that I put in the Alternator it will start but die I have unpluged the AMF and it still dies. I was hoping that someone could help me out.
Thanks

MarkWard Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:52 am

It is unlikely the alternator is causing the problem. To be sure, disconnect the battery ground cable and remove the wires from the Alternator. Make sure they don't ground out on anything during this test. Reconnect the battery and attempt to start the van. Most likely the problem will still be there and you can start to look elsewhere.

Engines need 3 things to run. Fuel, Spark, and good compression. You need to determine what is missing. It used to be a lot easier to do this when vehicles had points and carbs - ECUs and sensors. There is a ton of good information on how to trouble shoot no start problems here on the Samba. I have this link bookmarked.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=349429

Welcome to the Samba.

Traderjohnny805 Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:27 am

Thank you for that help that was a great post I guess I will be busy today. I will let you know how things go I also cleaned out all the ground wires so I know those are good, thanks again I'll keep you posted

Ukekuke Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:09 pm

Have u rechecked ur timing at all?
Check the connection for your temp
2 sensor too!
Idle screw adjusted on throttle body?
My 81 westy runs great then not so great
and everything has been replaced.
Try posting on bay site too they have
same engine as ours!
We're in the middle of these 2 forums.
Do you have a Bentley manual?
Goodluck
Al

Wildthings Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:19 pm

Starting and then immediately dying is the classic symptom for a large vacuum leak. If so, it is likely that you knocked some hose off when you changed out the alternator.

Traderjohnny805 Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:15 am

I looked at the picture you posted and I can see the your relay is in a box and mine is on the back left corner, would the jumper work for mine? I also looked for vacuum leaks and fixed any that I could find. Still would start and stall.

I was woundering is there a way to see if the AMF is working
Thanks

Randy in Maine Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:47 am

Pull the black cap off the AFM and have a look inside.

Traderjohnny805 Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:06 pm

Hello yes I pulled the cover off and yes it looks a little worn out if I pull the arm over the fuel pump starts up