TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Question about the two M8 bolt holes on the fan center.
Bevan Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:11 am

Had a search for this, but either I am blind or should have put more time into my search for which I apologise in advance ;)

I know these M8 bolt holes on the fan are for attaching a fan removal tool, and they are empty in my squareback. I was working on a notch last night where the bolts were left in and tight. As the fan is a harmonic balancer I thought this wasn't right as the fan would be locked in place an cause vibration. The owner of the notch, and myself to some extent, would like some confirmation if the bolts should be in or left out?

Thanks guys.

Dlglobal1 Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:14 am

I checked my Bentley, Haynes, Muir and the Tom Wilson books. No mention of the M8 bolts you describe. I assume they would be associated with a puller to remove the fan and should probably not be there on final assembly.

The books describe 7 M6 x 22 bolts and serrated washers joining the rear to the front half of the housing. The fan itself appears to be pressed onto the crankshaft.

Bobnotch Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:26 am

Take them out. They're not supposed to be there. The threaded holes were only provided to remove the fan (with a puller), without damaging it.

Bevan Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:27 am

Thanks Bob, always nice to get confirmation. :)

KTPhil Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:11 am

I wondered about this, too! When I pulled my motor a few years ago to clean it and replace the pushrod tube seals, those bolts were there, so I put them back, all the time wondering why the heck they would need to be there. I guess I'll remove them next time it's out.

Bevan Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:37 am

KTPhil wrote: I wondered about this, too! When I pulled my motor a few years ago to clean it and preplace the pushrod seals, those bolts were there, so I put them back, all the time wondering why the heck they would need to be there. I guess I'll remove them next time it's out.

No such thing as a stupid question ;-)

Glad that another T3 owner gets the gift of Bob's wisdom :-)