TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Hey Shorty !!! Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Racebug57 Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:43 pm

Ive been muddling over this for a while now.
I have to start thinking about college education cost for my children. Unfortunately that leads me to sell a bus :-(

As of late it appears shortened bus's are fetching higher prices than stock bus's . So i figure I have the skills and time... why not shorten this thing and improve the profit?
For being an original paint 1957 palm green sand green bus, some bumps and bruises, I feel it would be a fairly painless project.

I would enjoy some input on the proper approach to doing such a procedure. Pictures of the process and of course the end product greatly appreciated.

Thanks Samba !!!

Clara Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:46 pm

Racebug57 wrote:
As of late it appears shortened bus's are fetching higher prices than stock bus's .

You are misinformed.

SingleWheel Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:54 pm

April fools in July????

Malokin Martin Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:55 pm

thom Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:57 pm

You should also make it into a topless roadster while you're at it...

Racebug57 Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:01 pm

Interesting reply's???

A quick search on classifieds bring up a few examples of what I'm after.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search

Don't get me wrong I never would of thought "less is more" but what the hay.

I think it would be very different to see an original paint short bus, true some time consuming blending work is to be done.. I guess that's what makes it fun!

Shoyrtt Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:26 pm

Racebug57 wrote: Interesting reply's???

I think it would be very different to see an original paint short bus, true some time consuming blending work is to be done.. I guess that's what makes it fun!

Are you an attorney? Do you have ways to complicate other people's lives? Are you concerned with other people's feedback scores? If you answer affirmatively to all of these questions, then apparently a shorty is for you. :lol:

caseydenise Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:29 pm

Do you have multiple buses?
Not sure if you catch the sarcasm, but cutting up your bus would not be a good idea. List it for sale and it will beat any shorty bus price for sure.

joe56vw Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:35 pm

Racebug57 wrote: Interesting reply's???

wow I bet you think reality shows are real too huh? :roll:
none of those buses are selling and probably won't any time soon and that very overpriced one in Hawaii has been for sale at least three times now and I doubt it is even worth a 1/4 of the asking price IMO

anyone who wants a original paint bus wants a unmodified one not a hack up shorten one (no offense just saying)

a nice semi complete running and driving mostly original paint pgsg bus will sell quick in the high teens/low twenties
I have never seen or hear of a shorty bus selling for anywhere near a 5 digit price tag

busdaddy Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:03 pm

Racebug57 wrote: I would enjoy some input on the proper approach to doing such a procedure.
It's really quite easy, a few well placed head butts will split those crappy German spotwelds apart like butter and make for simple reattachment with minimal paint damage, start on the B pillar about 8-10" down from the drip rail. Make sure you use your bare forehead, hats will slow down the process.
What you are trying to do here is crack it in 1/2 like cracking an egg :wink:

Ohio_Style Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:25 pm

When you go fishing, it's very easy to over bait the hook.

Racebug57 Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:37 pm

I'm assuming the resent Tillamook fiasco news was talked about here. Did you see that those bus's were said to be worth $100,000 each. That is a boat load more than what they would be worth in stock condition! Shorty's are on the rise!

I understand its a emotional subject for some of you die hard's, but lets face it, there are ample amounts of stock bus's. When was the last time you saw an original paint shorty ? O yeah... never! I feel it would be a hit !

Now how about moving forward with some nice Shorty Pictures?

Malokin Martin Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:38 pm

This thread is worthless without pictures of a Sawzall and that bus

asesapie Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:56 pm

to cut up that bus would be a horrible idea. Put it up for sale and keep an og bus og not a horrible mistake to haunt us all. Dont do it!

hoagy86 Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:14 pm

I asked him if he would sell it to me. I would hate for any bus let alone a pgsg get hacked. He said its worth 20k now, But it will be 50k as a shorty, wow :roll: dunno what to say sad thinking they are worth more. might want to at least start a poll, :?

Racebug57 Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:33 pm

hoagy86 wrote: I asked him if he would sell it to me. I would hate for any bus let alone a pgsg get hacked. He said its worth 20k now, But it will be 50k as a shorty, wow :roll: dunno what to say sad thinking they are worth more. might want to at least start a poll, :?

So much for keeping PM's Pivate :roll:

thecrewcrew Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:40 pm

Troll much?

OG67westy Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:17 pm

OP where was that pic taken?

EA57RHD Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:18 pm

Racebug57 wrote:
Quote: When was the last time you saw an original paint shorty ? O yeah... never! I feel it would be a hit !

I agree, it would be a hit at the circus when all the clowns jump out of it. No offense to the clowns.

In the words of Charles Barkley "that's a terrible idea"

consvws Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:38 pm

Racebug57 wrote: lets face it, there are ample amounts of stock bus's.

Yeah there are so many original paint PGSG's out there :roll: Go find a different bus to cut. :twisted: :twisted: :evil: