TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 66' Bug, Troubleshoot Clutch/Trans Grinding (Video)
unlucky Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:51 pm

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have a 66 bug that is giving a bad grinding noise whenever I shift or press the clutch. All components are original, except the 12v conversion. Still have the 180mm clutch as well.

I replaced the T/O bearing with a new German one, but the noise started again immediately after the replacement. Clutch disk and plate were also replaced within the last year, German made. Since all the obvious parts have been swapped, I am left to believe it is the transmission.

The videos should provide a good example of what I am hearing and experiencing. The first one you can hear it whenever I try to shift, and the 2nd is a more persistent grinding.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

kirkpwomack Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:15 pm

Sounds to me like you may need a new clutch, throw out bearing, and pressure plate if it's all original... While you have the motor out on the ground is a good time to tighten up all those leaks with fresh seals.

arizonabuckeye Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:38 pm

I wonder if you shift linkage has come a bit loose. Synchros in your trans could be bad too. Pull the motor and post pics of the flex plate, T/O, clutch plate and input shaft. Don't drive it until it's fixed!

drscope Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:08 pm

I didn't watch your whole videos, but it doesn't look like the car is moving. So, did you blow the splines in a brake drum?

unlucky Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:50 pm

Thanks for the replies so far.

Quote: Sounds to me like you may need a new clutch, throw out bearing, and pressure plate if it's all original...

The T/O is brand new, this was the sound that was made immediately after remounting the motor. The clutch disc and plate were both ok on inspection when I installed the T/O. I had installed the disc and plate about 6 months prior, and had no issues with that install before this.

Quote: I wonder if you shift linkage has come a bit loose. Synchros in your trans could be bad too. Pull the motor and post pics of the flex plate, T/O, clutch plate and input shaft. Don't drive it until it's fixed!

Not sure if this is due to synchros or not, but it pops out of second, and occasionally will have a hard time going into third. A friend had recommended the input shaft bearing as well.

Quote: I didn't watch your whole videos, but it doesn't look like the car is moving. So, did you blow the splines in a brake drum?

I was feathering the clutch and gas to give an example of the sound, so only barely moving in the videos. The car drives normal otherwise, no issues anywhere else accept the clutch/transmission that I am aware of.

Eric&Barb Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:05 pm

Have you check that there is gear oil in the transaxle or even changed it?

Do you have the clutch pedal adjusted properly?

arizonabuckeye Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:28 pm

Is it a constant problem? Does it happen even if you double clutch?

unlucky Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:45 pm

Quote: Have you check that there is gear oil in the transaxle or even changed it?

Do you have the clutch pedal adjusted properly?

I'll have to check on the gear oil. I can drive it while shifting without the clutch, and it doesn't make any noise. Clutch pedal seems ok, the cable could be tightened some, but nothing to warrant the sound.

Quote: Is it a constant problem? Does it happen even if you double clutch?

When I first start to move and shift it won't make the noise immediately, but about a half mile in, it will start making the noise on every clutch press. Double clutching makes the noise as well.

Eric&Barb Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:40 pm

Measure the clutch pedal play and adjust as needed.

Have shifted without using clutch pedal with blown clutch disc or broken clutch cable without any noise. That is just a matter of getting the engine/transaxle RPMs just right.