TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: correct size galley plugs
benchracer1 Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:44 pm

I have a 1962 40horse. I am going to pull the galley plugs to get all the crap out. The engine was contaminated with metal. What are the proper size plugs for that older engine? It looks like the kits you can buy fit 66 thru 77 year models.......steve

bugguy076 Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:33 am

I always take the tme to tap the holes and install pipe plugs. I don't like to hope the plugs will stay in and not leak.

Juanito84 Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:07 pm

I just pulled mine for the same reason. I haven't bought any yet since I've been looking for the welch plugs instead of the NPT plug.

Where did you see the welch plugs?

I'll try to measure them soon, tomorrow hopefully, and post the findings. If I can't buy any then I'll either have to get some aluminum stock and have my machinist make some, or get the case tapped for the threaded NPT kind.

PS, there seems to be 3 different sizes on the case, depending which plug. Also the NPT plugs are sold in three different sizes, you'll need a few of each, and you'll need your case machined for them.

jsturtlebuggy Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:19 pm

Just figure out what you need for size of plugs and go to your local hardware store like ACE and buy them.
I use 1/16"NPT (which my ACE carries)on the two galleys for the lifter bores. Or you can drill the holes larger to 1/8"NPT which seems to be common.
Finding a 1/16"NPT tape in not as easy as finding a 1/8"NPT. The 1/16"NPT is used for installing Nitrous systems in intake manifolds.

The main oil galleys use 3/8"NPT.
I like using either steel or stainless steel plugs. Aluminum and brass can sometimes be hard to remove depending on what is used as sealant or how much they have been tighten.