TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Have Puma shroud, no doghouse, what oil cooler options?
many408 Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:15 am

I have a Puma. It has a Puma shroud, yes heat, no doghouse.

The engine is a 1600 with two Solex 32/34 and a 050 distributor. I am pretty sure it's the same engine that came from the factory in the car. Not sure it it's a dual-relief case, will look next time I'm under it.

Are there Puma shrouds, with heat, with doghouse?

How much space does the doghouse itself take?

Can/should a doghouse be added to a non-doghouse shroud?

Brian Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:46 am

by about that much

There are puma doghouse ones I think, but they have a tube instead of the chute

You could contact this guy: http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/

Howard 111 Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:24 am

For a while, CB sold a shroud, even has a VW number, or one like it. The name was a "Brazil Non-Fresh Air Low Profile Dog House Shroud - OEM".
The # was 040-119-025.47

It's no where to be found on their site now, I just looked. I bought one several years ago from them.

PumaVW79 Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:11 am

many408 wrote: I have a Puma. It has a Puma shroud, yes heat, no doghouse.

The engine is a 1600 with two Solex 32/34 and a 050 distributor. I am pretty sure it's the same engine that came from the factory in the car. Not sure it it's a dual-relief case, will look next time I'm under it.

Are there Puma shrouds, with heat, with doghouse?

How much space does the doghouse itself take?

Can/should a doghouse be added to a non-doghouse shroud?

From factory, no Puma shrouds came with dog house. The only difference is on the profile, lower and wider than beetle.
All shrouds came with out for heat.

The Puma is a light car, a doghouse is not needed with the factory configuration.
With the original 1600 engine the original cooling system works very well.

In fact in Brazil, only the Kombi (Bus) came from factory with the doghouse style shroud.

W1K1 Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:41 am

CB's Puma shroud came with the front tin with hot air exhaust port and gasket too.

PumaVW79 Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:16 pm

Howard 111 wrote: For a while, CB sold a shroud, even has a VW number, or one like it. The name was a "Brazil Non-Fresh Air Low Profile Dog House Shroud - OEM".
The # was 040-119-025.47

This number is OEM from Kombi model Pick-up 507.
I don't know why they are known as Puma shrouds, AFAIK no one Puma came from factory with it.

Images below are from VW catalog:

Howard 111 Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:45 pm

W1K1, that's the same shroud I'm running. That's a good looking engine.

PumaVW79 Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:45 pm

Just visited your site at http://s165.photobucket.com/user/CDNBullyboy/library/Beetle?sort=3&page=1

Incredible "ressurrection", congratulations! =D>

W1K1 wrote:

Brian Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:46 am

IMO dual port get the doghouse shroud, single port stay with what you have.

W1K1 Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:57 am

Quote: Just visited your site at http://s165.photobucket.com/user/CDNBullyboy/library/Beetle?sort=3&page=1

Incredible "ressurrection", congratulations!

I just sold it :?
that was by far my favorite engine, but the car sat so much in the garage since I finished my Squareback i started thinking about selling it. I put a sign on it at a car show 2 weeks ago and it sold. The guy had a cheque for me the next afternoon, i still feel wierd about selling it

PumaVW79 Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:35 pm

W1K1 wrote:
The guy had a cheque for me the next afternoon

Lucky guy, the new owner :)

--------------------------

Additional info to the OP:

The cooler marked as 1B in the diagram (OEM 040/ 117021/1) will fit in the conventional (no doghouse) shroud without mods.

The one marked as 1 (OEM 040/ 117021/4) also fits, but will need a slight cutting and grinding in few areas

The one marked as 1A won't fit

The flange 4 is required only for doghouse style shrouds

many408 Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:42 pm

PumaVW79 wrote:

From factory, no Puma shrouds came with dog house. The only difference is on the profile, lower and wider than beetle.
All shrouds came with out for heat.

The Puma is a light car, a doghouse is not needed with the factory configuration.
With the original 1600 engine the original cooling system works very well.

In fact in Brazil, only the Kombi (Bus) came from factory with the doghouse style shroud.

My Puma has heat ports on the shroud.

I read that the Puma is 1650 lbs, and a Type 1 is about the same.