TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: GW TPS adjustment Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
RBEmerson Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:56 am

In trying to adjust the TPS on a GW throttle body, it seems that the GW TPS adjuster either has a problem or it's an outright miserable design.

The VW part has a locking screw and a second screw that adjusts the micro-switch's position. The GW part has a sliding locking screw and no obvious adjuster, short of sliding the locking screw back and forth. Needless to say, tightening that screw ...ah... screws with the adjustment. Is this TPS toast or is it really just a miserable design?

Also, Bentley calls for adjusting the TPS so that it closes as the throttle arm has .002 - .004" clearance between the idle stop screw and idle stop arm. There is no way of getting this adjustment. The best I can get is about 1 mm heavy or about ten times the recommended clearance of .05 - .10 mm. [/headscratch]

jberger Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:17 am

Slide the screw one way or the other and re-tighten. Does it make it better or worse? If you have run out of adjustment and still have 1mm of clearance then the part is defective. Either return it or modify it to work as needed. The switch NEEDS to be adjusted in that .002" to .004" range for proper running.

You also still need to set your idle speed with an AMP meter attached to your Buzzing air valve. :wink:

insyncro Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:25 am

Why haven't you called GoWesty :?:

RBEmerson Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:56 pm

jberger wrote: Slide the screw one way or the other and re-tighten. Does it make it better or worse? If you have run out of adjustment and still have 1mm of clearance then the part is defective. Either return it or modify it to work as needed. The switch NEEDS to be adjusted in that .002" to .004" range for proper running.
That's the way I'm beginning to see it, too.

Quote: You also still need to set your idle speed with an AMP meter attached to your Buzzing air valve. :wink:

Got that part.

RBEmerson Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:07 pm

insyncro wrote: Why haven't you called GoWesty :?:

A couple of days ago I called them about a problem with their signal filter cable kit (snip off end of existing cable, solder on new cable with better filter).

GW: "Are you working with someone?" (I took that to mean A Real Automotive Technician)

Me: "No. I do my own work."

GW: "Oh, well, we don't have any mechanics that can troubleshoot problems over the phone."

Me: "So you're going to just leave me hanging here?"

GW: "I'm sorry. We don't have any mechanics that can troubleshoot problems over the phone."

The good news is I had a Name from an email exchange about a previous defective item. An email there produced near sudden results. For that product. Which is, AFAIK, DOA.

Now, what was your question?

RBEmerson Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:14 pm

Given the problem, cited above, with adjusting the TPS, I'll suck it up and pull the throttle body so I can open up the TPS and see what's happening there. I'm hoping it's a simple case of "something slipped in shipping". Yeah, riiiiiiiiiight...

insyncro Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:26 pm

Absolutely no issues with any of the throttle bodies and switches I have purchased and installed from Van Cafe, Rocky Jennings and Vanistan.

Smooth as silk.

The customer service from each is top notch too.

dobryan Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:00 pm

insyncro wrote: Absolutely no issues with any of the throttle bodies and switches I have purchased and installed from Van Cafe, Rocky Jennings and Vanistan.

Smooth as silk.

The customer service from each is top notch too.

I see a pattern.....

RBEmerson Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:17 pm

I would have ordered the throttle body from Van Cafe but they don't have them in stock.

I may well suck it up and replace the TPS anyway. It's dumb, it's spendy, but at least it keeps the Westy on the road instead of being grounded, waiting while the (probably) dud TPS shuffles through the mails from Phila. to Los Osos and back.

RBEmerson Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:43 pm

Poop! The TB is listed on VC as on hand. DOH!!!

insyncro Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:08 pm

GW has a vacuum switch as a TPS replacement...so does Rocky & Vanistan.

These units are far superior to the original that uses the shaft of the TB.

RBEmerson Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:18 pm

I saw that part. It set off a "looks like a work-around" alarm. Maybe it's not but it just didn't inspire a lot of confidence. Frankly, the original TPS design doesn't strike me as all that bad. The TPS that's on the engine now? Not so much.

insyncro Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:19 pm

The original switch is no where near as smooth as the vacuum switches.

RBEmerson Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:37 pm

That's as may be, but right now I'm not very inclined to roll the bones that GW will send a winner. They missed on the "Wasserstopper" tent fly (too short by 3" - problem resolved with replacement), the signal filter cable (put it on the engine - cranks, doesn't run, take it off, passes 30 mile road test - RMA'ed today), and now it looks as though the new TPS has problems (core RMA'ed, can't use old TPS). Between that and having to end run Customer Support to get the cable issue back under control, "Now, what was the question?"

ADDED: To be fair to GW, I screwed up royally on the filter cable. I daisy chained the new and old cables (don't ask - I plead total brain freeze). However, the guy who designed the new cable said this wouldn't cause a problem, just over-filter the signals from the AFM. We did some testing and concluded the new cable has problems. NTL it took some pushing and prodding to get GW to discuss the problem.

wes.outside Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:19 am

insyncro wrote: The original switch is no where near as smooth as the vacuum switches.

Just installed a Vanistan. Can confirm :)

insyncro Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:35 am

Well, I am sorry to hear that you have had different experiences than I asking questions and ordering parts from GW.

I have lost track of how many orders I have made with them in the past three months alone.
They have gone out of their way for me and the van owners that have ordered parts being sent directly to me for installation.

I own the rainfly, perfect fit and a sweet upgrade for the Westys.

On the topic of the throttle bodies....most of my spares were sent in as cores and I now prefer the custom billet version from RJE / Vanistan paired with a vacuum switch...no comparison IMHO.

Yes, both are more money than a rebuilt stock part, BUT, many have found and later post that having something that works and better than stock is worth every penny.

Hope you find an answer for your issues.

Terry Kay Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:01 am

Therre was a guy advertising or posting here that had a ball bearing set up mounted on the throttle body to stabilize the shaft, and give even gaps surrounding the throttle plate.
I think he rebuilt the TB's for folks.
Don't remember who it was, or where he was at, but it for sure sounded & looked like the better idea to me , if you wanted to retain the stock set up--
The Van-Cafe TB update I have seen , touched, and fondled.
It looks plenty simple to me also,and sure doesn't take much to install or adjust.

Bad deal that the GW set up or no advise left you hanging--I hate that crap--but your going to have to come up with some plan of attack here to resolve the BS running issues.
I do like a stock set up,or close to it so you can at least dial it in after the installation--no hair folicle bleeding while your scrathing your head trying to figure out why the engine isn't running properly--this sucks.

RBEmerson Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:34 am

I don't know if GW is having a bad hair day/week/month or not, but past orders worked well. But the last three orders have all had significant problems. Maybe I hit the one customer support person who doesn't understand the meaning of the word support. But that I have to resort to end runs to get any help isn't good. In my initial email about the filter cable I quoted the aphorism "Years to make a reputation, seconds to lose it". Right now, GW's seconds have come and gone. Alright, enough venting.

I'm going to pull the throttle body, climb into the TPS, and, I hope, find an explanation for why it won't adjust to even the Bentley spec, let alone following TerryK's recommended process. If I find a problem, I may jump on GW yet again. Or I may just eat the loss, replace the TPS, and get on with life. Stay tuned for film at 11...

Terry Kay Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:22 am

Lesson's learned in in the customer support arena.

If you want answers to your questions, the best place for this would have to be the VC--hands down, none better.

GW in my opinion is the JC Whitney( Warshawski ) of the Vanagon parts supplier's.
Real big volume, not much information to back up their products when an issue develops.

RBEmerson Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:38 am

Yeah, I'm pretty much at the same place. Except Whitney isn't as spendy.

OK, the TPS on the new TB...

There is no adjuster. There's a metal base that attaches to the TB, a plastic plate that carries an obviously very used micro-switch, the cam and cam keeper, and a screw running through a slot in the metal plate and into the plastic plate. There is a hole where the adjustment cam should accessed, but there's nothing even vaguely like an adjuster. Locking and adjusting are all done with the one screw. "Adjusting" means shoving the screw to move the plate carrying the micro-switch. Feh. I'll try to set the switch to as close to .050 - .10 mm as possible.

The idle stop screw has thread locker on it, as expected. Give the idle speed is right (just under 900 RPM), it's likely the stop screw is in the right place.

I assume there are a variety of TPS assemblies. That is, they may all have the same function, but are built slightly differently. There are Audi rings on the plastic plate, so I assume that's an authentic part. The metal plate and plastic cover... [/shrug] Who knows? The actual switch looks close to "rode hard, put away wet". I expect better.