TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: I got a set of used alloy wheels but they come with studs?
the craigness Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:05 am

So I got a nice set of 4 16" rims with tires that came off an 87 Vanagon for my 84 Vanagon. They have some centering rings (look like a young girls bangle bracelets) and 4 sets of 5 wheel studs. All the studs are identical. Does this mean the rear hubs have to be modified? Can I assume the rings are hub centric to center the rims? He said they should be a direct bolt-on swap.

Am I missing anything here?

Thanks!!

Craig

240Gordy Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:14 am

Post this in the wheels thread

MarkWard Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:36 am

No need to post in the Wheels thread.

You are there, we are not. The vanagon has studs in the rear and bolts in the front. The bolts are a pain in the butt when changing a tire. You need to compare the thread length on the rear studs to what came with your rims. If the lengths are identical I don't see why you'd need to replace the rear studs. If they are too short, then yes time for rear studs. You also need to verify the nuts you received spin onto the existing rear studs with your fingers if you decide to use them. The factory nuts might have the wrong angle where the nut seats in the rim.

For the fronts, if the studs you received screw into the front hub, I'd be inclined to use those and get away from the lug bolts. It is possible the VW factory bolt has the wrong pitch where it seats in the rim. You could also reach out to Christopher S at T-3 Technique. He may even add something here. He knows about as much as any one as to what wheels fit and if you need some hardware, can hook you up. mark

the craigness Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:45 am

I got 4 sets of studs for all four wheels. No bolts. Evidently his Vanagon had holes in the rears also. Not sure how that happened. Also, the holes on the rims are so small I don't think any bolts can make it in there. I don't know what he had on there. Possibly wheel adapters?

MarkWard Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:05 am

You should reach out to Christopher. T3Technique.com or contact at [email protected]

The rear studs are pressed in to the vanagon wheel hubs from behind. It would be a unique stud that fits the rear hub and was metric. You could use press studs in the front, but that would require some machining to get it right. It is easier to replace the front lug bolts with studs than the rear. It sounds like you have answered your own question. It sounds like you have a set of rims that might have the correct bolt pattern, but a smaller lug diameter. A picture would help, but I really recommend contacting Christopher.

insyncro Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:19 am

There are two identical threads going on here.
Pick one and delete the other.

insyncro Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:20 am

insyncro wrote: It all depends upon how many threads are used with the proper lug nuts for the alloys.

A minimum of 5-7 threads should be used per lug.
Some run vans with only four threads per lug, but that is a recipe for issues with my experience.

BenT Syncro Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:55 pm

It would be much easier to answer your question, if you include photos or more accurate description. Here are a sampling of 3 different kinds of studs. The first two are used to screw in to the front of 2wd Vanagons which do not have pressed in studs. Notice that the very first one is fat on the bottom that goes into the van and skinnier for use in wheels which do not have holes big enough for the 14mm Vanagon lugbolts and studs. The second one is for wheels with the proper sized holes.

Post pics of the wheels and hardware.

14mm to 12mm screw in studs

14mm to 14mm screw in studs

As for the rears, the stock press-in studs look like that third photo.

14mm press in studs
[/b]

MarkWard Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:41 am

I would be leery of using studs that step down from 14mm to 12mm. The stock lug torque is over 100 foot pounds. That is a ton of clamping force, well not actually a ton. It is unlikely you could get the same clamping force with a 2 mm smaller stud, but someone is making them, your call if you have them.

insyncro Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:55 am

rsxsr wrote: I would be leery of using studs that step down from 14mm to 12mm. The stock lug torque is over 100 foot pounds. That is a ton of clamping force, well not actually a ton. It is unlikely you could get the same clamping force with a 2 mm smaller stud, but someone is making them, your call if you have them.

As long as you use high quality stepped studs there will be no issues....cheap knockoff studs from eBay or from Fast and Furious type suppliers are NOT recommended.

T3technique.com for all wheel mounting parts is advised :!: