TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: PO screwed luggage rack to van
BenjaminJames Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:29 am

I finally got around to removing the luggage rack to reseal it. The PO had drilled straight through the fiberglass rack in 4 spots across the front, just above the seal. He then screwed the rack right into the roof of the van.

Screws are rusted, and being that water gets in there, I want to address this asap. The holes in the fiberglass luggage rack can be repaired with epoxy I imagine.. but what about the screw holes in the roof of the van? It's not visible but I want to clean and fix it right. Thanks!

j_dirge Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:55 am

Clean the holes in the sheet metal as best you can.. no rust.
Then prime.
Then apply a dab of flexible sealant like 5200 or similar sealant. Try to get enough in such that it droops a little below the underside of the sheet metal.

Check it once a yr for signs if discoloration around the sealant.

If you feel extra thorough, check the holes from under the headliner, too.
Any signs of rust there.. will eventually creep back out.

All that said.. I covered my antenna hole with a piece of electrical tape.. and it holds up for a couple yrs at a time.
Someday, I'll get around to welding/filling it closed

MarkWard Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:10 am

On TV this weekend, I watched them remove a roof rack and glue a piece of sheetmetal from underneath with a liberal amount of body panel adhesive to fill the holes. Some duraglass, sanding, primer, and some paint any you could not tell the roof rack was there. Your holes may actually not be easily accessible from behind since based on your description they are near the windshield frame and the header above the windshield would prevent access. A picture would help. I like the idea of cleaning and plugging them. I hate hacks that do this stuff.