TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1969 9-Passenger Clipper-L Montana Red Sunroof Deluxe Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
ratherb-buggin Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:50 pm

I picked up this mostly-original 1969 9-Passenger Montana Red Clipper-L Sunroof Deluxe in April. It was located about 115 miles away from me. What an odd feeling for my dream bus to have been so close all these years and to not know about it. A friend of our car club posted up that his 80 year old neighbor had this for sale. Not realizing what it was I disregarded the bus at first. A slow day at work led me to relook over all the posts and I noticed something special about the bus and enquired further.

A road trip over into Missouri while the Mrs.'s was at work one weekend led me straight to my dream bus! A deposit was made and the agreement to return in two weeks with the rest of the money and to pick it up!

I have a lot of work to do on the bus. Someone cut the rear wheel arches, the engine needs some love and the sunroof cables, plastics are shot. I feel blessed to have it. Every man has his unicorn and this is my unicorn! They are still out there friends! Keep hunting and sharing if you don't want it!! You never know what someone else is looking for!

If anyone has spare parts I need sunroof cables, the center plastic cover and cog wheel spacer, rear hatch jail bars, short rear seat luggage bar, rear fender arches and a correct BN-4 Eberspacher gas heater.

Jim Bear Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:00 pm

That
Is
Dope
=P~

69rulz Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:22 pm

My bus is a 70 montana red, with white roof, buff it, will shine nice, I just painted mine. Buds are nice! If you can't get that sunroof to work right it'd make a cool hightop. 8) [/img]

CheeseKombi Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:34 pm

Very Cool! I have the same model and color but it's a 1970 and no sunroof. The extra chrome gives it a nice vintage look.

ratherb-buggin Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:43 am

Jim Bear wrote: That
Is
Dope
=P~

Thank you Jim! :D

69rulz wrote: My bus is a 70 montana red, with white roof, buff it, will shine nice, I just painted mine. Buds are nice! If you can't get that sunroof to work right it'd make a cool hightop. 8) [/img]

Thanks, the plan is to buff it out and make it more reliable for the road. Do you have any photos of your bus?

CheeseKombi wrote: Very Cool! I have the same model and color but it's a 1970 and no sunroof. The extra chrome gives it a nice vintage look.
CheeseKombi, do you have photos? I have been into Clippers for quite some time now and they're aren't many out there.

VWsArent4Hippies Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:44 am

Love it!

notchboy Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:34 am

Why you so stingy on the pics bro? I dont wana hear this "its hot" stuff either. Its hot here - like gona be 85-90 today! Thats a heat wave for Seattle - but Ill be out in it working on bus stuff :lol:

And whats this Sport Berger tent? You half finished the photos on that one but no set up!

What gives man. Im mildly disappointed in you right now :roll:

Djoul Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:57 pm

cool bus

are you sure it's a 69?

I thought that the black upholstery appear in 70's models...

I've got a 69 clipper too (Montana red of course) but the upholstery is medium Grey / light Grey...

:wink:

skills@eurocarsplus Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:16 pm

70 would have had the rear marker lights and reflectors on the door

Brian Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:57 pm

68-69 have the round reflectors. 69+ have acorn nuts on the wipers, pull handles. so that rules out 68.

FlatfourFrenchy Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:38 pm

I did the ol' m-tag decoder on it when it used to be my neighbors bus. It is a 69. Even came with a gas heater.

ratherb-buggin Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:50 am

VWsArent4Hippies wrote: Love it!
Thank you!

notchboy wrote: Why you so stingy on the pics bro? I dont wana hear this "its hot" stuff either. Its hot here - like gona be 85-90 today! Thats a heat wave for Seattle - but Ill be out in it working on bus stuff :lol:

And whats this Sport Berger tent? You half finished the photos on that one but no set up!

What gives man. Im mildly disappointed in you right now :roll:

Jason, I need to post more photos; I just haven't had the bus long and work has been busy.

You saw that tent huh?!? :) I only had a few hours the day I found it and I had to dedicate that time to something else. Plus I have no idea how to set that thing up! lol.. I'm hoping to trade it to a friend so I never have to! haha It's a super nice tent though.

Mildly disappointed is okay with me.. I'm getting married next year and I've got big fish to fry before then, however I'm still trying to get some vw time in before the big day. What it comes down to is too many projects and too little time. I hear it only gets worse when kids are in the picture.

Djoul wrote: cool bus

are you sure it's a 69?

I thought that the black upholstery appear in 70's models...

I've got a 69 clipper too (Montana red of course) but the upholstery is medium Grey / light Grey...

:wink:

Djoul,
You and I have talked before. I had a 8-passenger Clipper Sunroof that I picked up in 2010 that sparked some conversation.
Yes this bus is a 69. I was also surprised by the black interior but it is original as it has the Deluxe Door panels.
Here is the m-plate info:
Model Type 2 (T2) mod. 241(5) :
- Microbus Deluxe
- 9 seater (arrangement 3-3-3)
- Sliding door right
- LHD
Chassis number 249189984
Serial number 189 984
Modelyear 1969
Planned production date Wednesday, 14 May 1969
Type of engine Type 1 (B5) - 1584cc, 35 kW (47 bhp DIN)
Type of transmission Manual 4-speed gearbox
Paint color Color upper part : L581 - Cloud White
Color lower part : L30H - Montana Red

Interior color (doorpanels and seats) 40 - *** Unknown ***
Destination Germany, Wiesbaden

FlatfourFrenchy wrote: I did the ol' m-tag decoder on it when it used to be my neighbors bus. It is a 69. Even came with a gas heater.
DAVID!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone this is David, he helped unit me with this bus! Thank you David, I owe you big time!

ned Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:13 am

They are still out there. Youre not gonna tell us how much? :D

ratherb-buggin Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:03 am

ned wrote: They are still out there. Youre not gonna tell us how much? :D

Unfortunately not online. The previous owner was happy with the deal that we struck and so both sides were happy with the purchase price. The previous owner spent some money on it but picked it up on a trade so I'm sure he still made a few bucks. I didn't have the money when this came up for sale but like anyone who wants to seize the moment I sold one of my other buses and came up with it. :-)

notchboy Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:50 pm

[quote="ratherb-buggin"] ned wrote: They are still out there. Youre not gonna tell us how much? :D

Unfortunately not online. The previous owner was happy with the deal that we struck and so both sides were happy with the purchase price. The previous owner spent some money on it but picked it up on a trade so I'm sure he still made a few bucks. I didn't have the money when this came up for sale but like anyone who wants to seize the moment I sold one of my other buses and came up with it. :-)[/quote

And that right there is how its done :wink: Desire + Perseverance.

Djoul Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:50 pm

yes, so we can say a black upholstery is quite rare for a 69...

note that interior's panels are specifics on type 24, with inserted chromed trims ... 8) 8) 8)

Djoul Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:25 pm

with the rear fender cut, it make me think to the Beach Bomb :lol:

:lol:

FlatfourFrenchy Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:28 pm

Need to let Ryan B slam it with some polished 5 spokes. Then off to the beach. LOL. Or just like it is.

FlatfourFrenchy Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:36 pm

On another note, I recall Jim saying he got parts for interior from a donor. I seem to remember m-code left upholstery as open option and not specific. Right or wrong your center seat is worth more than my bus cost me.

djdh68dlux Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:04 pm

Nice find! I have a 68 Clipper. No sunroof on mine though. So rare to see another one.