TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Westy advantages ?.. (vs. tin top) Page: 1, 2  Next
DaVonZip Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:27 am

I have to decide which bus to keep and start restoring: (I have both)

I really like the 'look' of the Bay Window tin top/hard top camper bus, over against, the Westfalia camper, pop top bus.
But, I am wondering how many 'positive advantages' I would be giving up if I don't choose the Westy?

The TWO major advantages of the Westy that I see are; the extra bunk up top and the ability to stand in the bus. I can see the benefits of being able to stand inside your bus, cooking, lets air in, etc...but the kids are grown and the extra bed up top is not necessary. Though I do like the thought of sleeping up top..i am wondering how many of you adults REALLY sleep up there? or do you mainly sleep below (be honest) ?

If I were to dismiss the advantage of the upper bed, that would leave 'standing room' as the only other major advantage to the Westy. And how often are you in the van to stand ? not very often right?

I don't know.. it seems like I answered my own question but I need feedback from long time owners of both buses please !

Rick

Sage79 Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:48 am

The popped top with screens gives a nice updraft ventilation, more space for your gear if you sleep below at night, and Being able to stand is really nice when putting your clothes on in the bus.

DaVonZip Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:55 am

good points sir, do you sleep up top Sage ?

dabble Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:58 am

I use my pop-top for storage and extra space while getting out of the elements. I have the early cot and rarely use it, but I would get pretty claustrophobic (I'm 6'4") if I had a tin top Westy.

$.02

Ludwig van Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:15 am

The upper bunk is a bit thinly padded for sleeping comfort (for me, anyway). The flat surface of the folded bunk is a great place to stow things when you're in the campsite with the top raised, leaving the lower floor clear. You can also keep slim things like tent poles, tarps etc. in the space between the halves of the bunk when it's folded back. Getting in and out is a lot easier with the top raised, too. You can admire the stars from the lower bed with the inner window of the top open and the outer screen keeping the bugs out.

On really cold or windy nights, we lower the top, which gives us an idea of what life in a hardtop is like, and I wouldn't want to have to camp like that all the time.

Bala Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:25 am

I sleep up top and find it to be pretty comfortable.
Also, when hanging out below or eating a meal it is nice to have a more open feeling. Opening that top window to get a breeze is really nice too.
Plus, if it matters, pop tops hold there value better and are more desirable should the need/want to sell ever come up later.

DaVonZip Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:52 am

all really good points and I hear what you all are saying...there is just something about the hard top bus though that speaks to me.
I know its silly, but when im standing in front of, next to, a bay window hard top bus, something inside says, 'Volkswagen' ! I don't get the same feeling necessarily with the Westy camper...lol (im weird, I know)
Don't get me wrong, I really like the Westy camper and if I could keep them both, I would.

I also was wondering if I had one of those tents that hook up to a hard top while camping, if that wouldn't take care of those points that everyone made above?

poptop tom Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:53 am

I like the luggage rack feature on my westy as well as all the other points that have been made.

You sound sold on the tintop though!

matt94gt Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:00 pm

I was in this boat, I really wanted a poptop but just loved the look of the tintop. As I plan on using it for advertising for my company I went with the tintop as it looks 'cooler' IMHO. But my tintop does have a sunroof, so I can sleep at night while staring at the stars and stand up to a certain degree when changing etc. I plan on getting an ez awning for it as I could never see my self cooking inside or doing dishes etc.

As well Im not sure about the comment of them holding their value more? Yes if your poptop is in great shape and original but its very hard to find one like that, most have been passed around many times where as I found it was easier to find a nice clean original bus. As well I'm not sure if its just where I live but my bus is like 1 to 10 of westys around town. I think in the 90s when they were not sought after the busses started getting scrapped where as people held onto their poptop campers as they served a better purpose. But this is just my opinion.

The one thing I can see a tin top being good for is ventilation (but again I have a sun roof and am going to make a custom bug screen), as well when camping a place to toss all your crap. But I love my tintop. I'd say go with your gut.

jtauxe Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:07 pm

I really really like having the pop top. When it was just my wife and myself (Before Children), the two of us slept up there -- it is cooler and more spacious than below. Then we we are driving, we'd just leave the bedding up there, with the bed folded down, and close up.

Down below, we always had the bench seat, and the very way back for storing stuff. If we had to sleep down there, too, it would be a pain moving everything. I had a tin top camper, actually, and that was a problem.

And as for standing, although I may not spend a lot of time standing in the bus, I definitely enjoyed doing so, as opposed to being hunched over.

After my experiences, including 50,000 miles in the poptop camper, I would never buy a tin top camper.

Bala Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:38 pm

matt94gt wrote: But my tintop does have a sunroof, so I can sleep at night while staring at the stars and stand up to a certain degree when changing etc.

As well Im not sure about the comment of them holding their value more? Yes if your poptop is in great shape and original but its very hard to find one like that, most have been passed around many times where as I found it was easier to find a nice clean original bus.

I had a friend with a '78 sunroof bus and he had a small dome tent that he cut the bottom out of and used over the sunroof. I think he used some magnetic strips to hold it in place (maybe some string/stakes when it was windy). Very cool idea!

I was comparing apples to apples. With a Westy and a standard bus in comparable condition the Westy will always be worth more. :)

JDub113 Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:19 pm

I chose to get the Pop top Westy so I could sleep up top. Forget the kids! I had him sleep below. :) Depending on your size you can get two up there for sure. My wife and I were up there recently. Plenty of room and much cooler than down below. Not bending over all the time feels good too, plus ventilation. This decision has a lot to do with what you plan to do with the bus. There are a heck of a lot of people who don't know what that white portion is up there. I had a guy the other day think that it was something to help it cool the engine. :P

matt94gt Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:51 pm

Bala wrote: matt94gt wrote: But my tintop does have a sunroof, so I can sleep at night while staring at the stars and stand up to a certain degree when changing etc.

As well Im not sure about the comment of them holding their value more? Yes if your poptop is in great shape and original but its very hard to find one like that, most have been passed around many times where as I found it was easier to find a nice clean original bus.

I had a friend with a '78 sunroof bus and he had a small dome tent that he cut the bottom out of and used over the sunroof. I think he used some magnetic strips to hold it in place (maybe some string/stakes when it was windy). Very cool idea!

I was comparing apples to apples. With a Westy and a standard bus in comparable condition the Westy will always be worth more. :)

Im going to use sun shade material and magnets :) Just roll it out. The tent idea is cool though.

Yes I agree then on your points about value. I dont have kids, and plan on doing a 4 month road trip in the bus next spring. I think it will be perfect, if I had kids I would of got a westy. When I have kids it might be an excuse to get a westy :P

notchboy Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:30 pm

Everyone loves a late bay pop top 8) Fact. I sleep on the bottom the GF sleeps on top. Or vise versa.(Im a big MoFo and needs my space) But when Im alone the pop top gets treated like a tin top as in Id rarely pop it up when sleeping alone. Unless it was so hot.

The simple fact is the ones you stated. Its an extra bed and I can stand in the bus. Early buses don't count because you cant sleep up there. :lol: Unless you are smart and put in a continental kit :wink:

Not enough space stil???? Ad a TENT.

Mr Bubble Head Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:44 pm

Your right ascetically a non pop top bus says "VW Bus" more than a pop top model. Years ago I swore I wouldn't get an "ugly" pop top bus when I first got into buses. But while when I went traveling in Australia way back me and my friend brought a pop top. This was so practical and with the top up the ventilation is so much better also you don't have that feeling the roof is less than a foot from your head.
Its easier to move around with the top up and you don't feel like your back is about to go out on you the second day into your trip. from that point I was sold on the pop tops.
I later brought a tin top which I kept and used for almost 12 years. When camping I always missed the pop top and the bus would heat up so much in the sun. I've just sold this bus and brought myself a westfalia with the pop top and I'm currently finishing it ready for the summer.

I suppose if your doing more driving than camping go a tin top but if camping is the idea, try hiring/borrowing a pop top bus for the weekend before making your mind up.

blackivory69 Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:49 pm

I don't prefer the look of the full pop top but being to stand up straight is my main priority. And that's why I didn't mind driving for 2 days to get my 71 small pop top Reviera. It still has a little bit of the look of the tin top but you can stand bec of the pop top.:) If I were you I'll choose the Pop Top.

udidwht Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:52 pm

FYI:

1. Westphalia VW campers came in both pop top & tin top versions.

2. With the pop top one will have leak or leaks at some point to deal with. And having the top open with high winds is a big risk and generally not recommended.

3. Even with the pop top you will still have moments where one will have to duck.

vwwestyman Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:33 pm

My bus has lots of leaks, but none due to the pop top, and it is even missing the rubber. The fiberglass goes below the level of the hole cut in the roof.

If going on a long road trip like I think the OP mentioned, I would much prefer the pop top.

Similar to an experience related above, my friend and I went on a road trip for a couple weeks several years ago in my bus. The first night, he slept below and I slept up top. However, after that, we discovered the convenience of leaving the stuff behind the back seat and both sleeping up top was significantly easier. The convenience of not having to move stuff back and forth each night was great!

I used to always sleep up top for this reason, but since getting my Great Dane, he likes to sleep with me while camping so I have to sleep down low.

I think the pop top is also great for the reasons mentioned, including standing up for changing/dressing, not feeling as cramped, and ventilation.

Tom Powell Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:02 pm

I put my pants on one leg at a time. It's much easier standing up with the pop top raised. Sometimes when it's down I step outside to put my pants on.

Aloha
tp

old DKP driver Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:33 pm

Having owned both I really drawn to just owning my tin top and really it's just that its one less thing to repair or having to deal with when camping in.

when my son and I did quite a lot of camping which was fishing for trophy
fish from Bass to Salmon I found that using a tent compared to the pop-top
really didn't make much difference whether we had a couple more feet to feel comfortable or not.

Camping in places with world class smallmouth bass and in frequent thunderstorms like Trinity lake in Nor-Cal was far more fun in our tiptop
than having to lower the top in down pouring rain.

We had a westy and also a Riviera and I still own a tiptop and really don't look back but, then a a westy will most likely always be worth more money in the future. But I have No leaks and a nice Westy interior from a 1975 without a pop-top.
I can also put my 2 surfboards inside and all the fishing tackle inside and not worry about theft or damage.

I do love all the Westy's I see on the road though :bay_red: