TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How do you calculate MPG?
0cean Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:21 pm

What is the best way to find out the MPG :?:

supdude Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:26 pm

MILES TRAVELED / GALLONS USED = MPG

Fill up tank, note mileage. Fill up tank again, note mileage and then compute miles traveled divided by gallons on that fill up.

atomatom Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:26 pm

best: smart phone with MPG app (or low tech version of known distance and receipts)

worst: the lying odometer

Tom Powell Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:26 pm

0cean wrote: What is the best way to find out the MPG :?:

Divide the miles driven by the gallons used.

Aloha
tp

denwood Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:29 pm

For iOS, "Road Trip" is an excellent app. My fav for a few years now. The app lets you do multiple vehicles, handles UK, US and SI units, and has reminders etc. for service.

danfromsyr Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:56 pm

I find the best method is to use the non-operative trip Odometer and then stop filing the tank at a preset $$ instead of waiting till it burps on my shoes.

really I'm usually better off not knowing the actual MPG..

now a working fuel gauge that's important.. pushing is a pain in the butt.

thisguyfel Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:12 pm

+1 for Road Trip iOS app. I used the free version for a while, then finally decided it was worth the purchase. I use it for every fill and even track our all electric Nissan LEAF via kWh data.

I've tracked over 70k miles in our VW Passat and noticed a steep dip in MPG, that resulted in helping me diagnose a poorly operating CAT (and replaced under warranty.)

I have 30k+ miles tracked on my Vanagon since we've owned it, peace of mind to know MPG remains consistent when things are going smooth.

Ahwahnee Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:47 pm

danfromsyr wrote: ...really I'm usually better off not knowing the actual MPG...

Quite so. I also don't bother to look at the DJI for weeks at a time.

But I do check MPG carefully a couple times a year, usually while traveling so I can measure over several tankfuls. It is a useful indicator of whether there are any running issues that are not otherwise evident.

denwood Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:25 pm

thisguyfel wrote: +1 for Road Trip iOS app. I used the free version for a while, then finally decided it was worth the purchase. I use it for every fill and even track our all electric Nissan LEAF via kWh data.

I've tracked over 70k miles in our VW Passat and noticed a steep dip in MPG, that resulted in helping me diagnose a poorly operating CAT (and replaced under warranty.)

I have 30k+ miles tracked on my Vanagon since we've owned it, peace of mind to know MPG remains consistent when things are going smooth.

Exactly..I track mpg more as a diagnostic tool with the app. It also is a reminder every fill up with regard to driving habits :-) My A3 TDI doesn't seem to care how it's driven (38mpg city, 55 highway) but the Westfalia sure does. Keeping speeds under 60mph and taking it easy during starts does make a noticeable difference. Last week towing our Hobie 18, the mileage predictably dropped to about 16mpg, but normally is up there at 22-23. The o2 sensor "meter" on the van is a nice indicator of when the injection reaches closed loop operation (better for mpg)..and a visual reminder of what happens when you feel compelled to use WOT.