TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Can '73-'79 wiper arms go on an early bay?
alikatcraig Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:15 am

Is it possible to swap the wipers from a late bay onto an early? I know the nut is different, and requires a plastic cap. If the spindle is the same I would assume they can be swapped, but I have not got a late bay to check measurements on. Late bay arms seem more plentiful and in better shape.
ETKA shows the early and late nuts on the late bay parts diagram but only one wiper arm. Assuming the EB one was obsoleted first would the LB one then be a supersede part?

vwed Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:53 am

The arms themselves are the same from August '68 to the end of production in '79. The arms from start of production in August '67 to end of July '68 are however different alongwith with the wiper shafts.
Strictly speaking the August '68 to end of July '72 arms should be silver grey with matching blades. August '72 on black.
August '68 - July '72 arms & blades:

'68 model year only arms - thinner stem, different base for grub screw attachment.

'68 model year blades:

ned Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:20 am

Hey Al, I have a pretty good collection of wiper blade arms. Adelanto Ecology had a truck bed full of wiper arms that I got to pick on before they were scrapped.

busdaddy Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:46 am

vwed wrote: The arms themselves are the same from August '68 to the end of production in '79.
Almost, the black 73+ arms have a fatter base as the nut changed and now was hidden under a plastic cap.
I've never tried late arms on an early bus before so I don't know if the shaft taper changed at all too.

Tcash Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:17 am

Here is three 68 arms. Note the nut is not encapsulated.

'68 Model Year Only Wiper Arms
vwed
One year only arms for August '67 to July '68.
Part number: 211 955 407 C
SWF brand.
Held in place with clamping rather than the inadequate grub screw method, although it could be argued less aesthetic looking.
VW solved the dilemma with the introduction of arms held in place with a cap nut from August '68 onwards.
Note the nut is encapsulated.

2 models of 68 only wiper arms

Left 69-72--------------------------------------------------------------------73-79 Right

73-79
Note: (P) plastic caps to cover mounting nuts.

69-72 Silver in color. If I remember right 69-72 there was a left and right.
73-79 Black in color. Can be used on left or right.

Yarkle Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:52 pm

Has anyone found the answer to this? Our bus has really bad wiper arms, stripped out, and the spindles are snapped off just where the threads start.

I got a rebuilt motor with spindles and everything for a really good price, but it has the (correct for this bus) early bay spindles, but i cannot find early bay arms.

PITApan Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:57 pm

Yarkle wrote: Has anyone found the answer to this? Our bus has really bad wiper arms, stripped out, and the spindles are snapped off just where the threads start.

I got a rebuilt motor with spindles and everything for a really good price, but it has the (correct for this bus) early bay spindles, but i cannot find early bay arms.

What is early bay? '68?

Brian Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:42 pm

Early is usually 68-71, but a true early is '68.

I was searching through a box of arms back when I was looking for mine and there are a lot of similarities between different models. One of the things I was going to do was take the bottom part of a early bug and graft it into a late model bus wiper arm. Would probably work.

Yarkle Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:31 pm

Sorry, should have clarified..By early bay I mean 69-72ish. My bus is a 69 (in the sig), so thats what i am particularly looking for. I know 68 has a different fitting than all of the others.

So, will late bay (73-79) wiper arms fit on a 1969?

vwed Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:39 am

Yarkle wrote: Sorry, should have clarified..By early bay I mean 69-72ish. My bus is a 69 (in the sig), so thats what i am particularly looking for. I know 68 has a different fitting than all of the others.

So, will late bay (73-79) wiper arms fit on a 1969?
Yes, frequently done here in the UK where the later black arms/blades are readily available whereas the silver arms/blades aren't.
Note however the different fittings as per the photos earlier in this thread.

Yarkle Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:19 am

Sweet! thanks!

Tcash Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:38 pm

1978 CEII Canada wiper blade
rusty busty wrote:
It even had OEM windshield wipers too! I had to replace those though.

rjonas Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:38 am

I recently modified 73-79 wiper arms to fit a 68 bus and thought I’d share some photos since I could not find a good thread detailing this.
I picked up some stainless steel 5mm x .80 x 10mm long set screws from my local ACE hardware store also a thread tap and a #19 drill bit. First you pull the spring off the 73-79 wiper arm and remove the C link. Then use the #19 drill bit at a slight angle to hit the appropriate portion of the meaty part that contacts the shaft. Tap out this hole with a metric 5mx.80 tap. Next you need to drill out the shaft hole to 5/16” diameter. Thread in the new stainless steel Allen head set screw and attach the 73-79 arm to the 68 shaft. Insert the C link and reinstall the spring. Done!