TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Blue van build is making me blue...
iliketowalk Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:36 am

This is going to be a bit of a build thread, a bit of a bitch and moan about how this thing is never going to be finished or out of the garage again blah blah blah...

Done
- Pop-top pulled, repainted with marine paint, new seals, new BD tent
- Phase 2 EJ22 w/ RMW Kit
... Upgraded exhaust mount kit
- New batter
- Interior removed, shampooed, reinstalled
... New marine plywood subfloor
... Vinyl "Wood" floating floor
... Sew fine front carpet kit (Charcoal)
- New front (door) window seals
- Middle / rear windows removed, repaired rust, reinstalled
... Upgraded to vented rear windows
... All new seals / brushes (sliding windows)
- Convert to single rounds, upgrade to H4's with relays, new turn signals, new rear markers
- Repaint both front grilles, wiper arms, etc
- Painted / installed Burley rear bumper / hitch
- Front end (Sitting at 18.75")
... Burley UCA
... Moog / Lemforder Upper ball joints
... Tie rod ends
... Sway bar bushings
... Syncro.org 2wd springs with 1/4" metal spacer
... Bilstein HD shocks
- Rear end (Sitting at 19.25")
... OEM Syncro springs
... New Shocks
... Wheel bearing housing replaced with a bead blasted used unit, new bearings, zerk fitted
... New drums, pistons, pads
... New transmission flange seal, rebuilt halfshaft, Redline CV grease

Todo
- Install new stereo, speakers, antenna
- Install single piece speedo cable (delete OXS box)
- Install solar panel, charge controller, Yandina
- Install rear tire carrier
- Reseal fuel tank

A lot of this stuff wasn't planned and I wish had been more "organic" over the course of ownership. We bought the van two years ago, popped a head stud on the WBX on the way home, had it in storage for about 20 months, and am now finally getting stuff done. So we haven't really got to "use" the van at all, thus the emotional (and monetary) debt is growing rapidly.

One such example is pulling the windows to get a better tint job, replace the iffy seals, etc... Hello rust...

Or putting on the CLK wheels... Rear bearings sloppy... Just popped a drum off... Big lip, not much shoe left... It never ends!

So here's my advice for the day... Just drive it and enjoy it until stuff literally starts falling off. The slope is slippery my friends...

Edit: We made it. Almost.

Vanagon Nut Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:32 am

I understand your pain and know the frustration. Went through something similar, as have others. Thankfully, it paid off. The mistake I made was having a "done" date in mind. Like "I want it ready to camp in by Spring". Ha ha. Thinking now, I'd suggest it's partly a mindset thing. Were I to buy another Vanagon, I'd likely treat it as a partial or total restoration; it would sit til it was done and I'd know that going into it. Ain't hindsight grand? ;)

Personally, I found (find) it tough to draw the line at what truly needs to be done. That said, I've lived with crappy brown OEM carpet in my Westy for some time now. Yes, it looks like ass but it still works. I did same with the poptop and tent. Some glue and fabric and the tent was good to go! ;) images: https://sites.google.com/site/tubaneil2/poptopcanvasrepair
And in hindsight, though I enjoy my new stereo, I don't use it that much while driving and rarely use it in camp. In camp I use my cheapo Eton radio much.

I still find it tough not to do things "while I'm in there" but try to remember: "if it ain't broke....."

Neil.

1vw4x4 Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:36 pm

ddddddddddddddd

'88MoneyPit Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:48 pm

Be patient, when in doubt sit and have a beer. I have been bitching at my Under dash AC system for a while now and before that the engine and I were exchanging words...

S

Syncroincity Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:53 pm

Mine was a driveway queen for 6 years. :oops:

Don't get discouraged, don't give up. Most importantly, walk away from it once in a while.

fleet_maintenance Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:57 pm

iliketowalk wrote: We bought the van two years ago, popped a head stud on the WBX on the way home, had it in storage for about 20 months

Syncroincity wrote: Mine was a driveway queen for 6 years. :oops

Don't feel bad. Mine has covered less than 10 miles in the last 10 years.

It started with spun bearings.

Road Trip>Barn Queen>Garage Queen>Shop Hog

I am putting it back on the road this month.

It's far from perfect. It will never be perfect, but driving it again will remind me to keep going on the rest of my to-do-list.

Cheers

epaddler Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:17 am

You are seeing good advice so far. I've owned my project for a bit longer than you and also went through the engine conversion and many of the things you have done. I have always focused on practical, mechanical projects first, and put off the fun aesthetic projects such as carpet kits and door panels and that gets a bit frustrating at times. But, I figure this is a longterm project and there will never be an end. I pick a few projects to complete each winter, and don't worry about the long list of projects that need to be done.

You will probably always be tinkering with it and adding new aftermarket stuff as it becomes available: in dash AC kits, Subie transmission conversions, improved suspension components, etc.

j_dirge Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:41 am

Looks to me like a lot of work has been done...
There can be a temptation to keep fixing things and replacing things once you get into a specific task. But I find its best to keep tasks focused.. and if something begins to mushroom, then look for a way to get it under control.

With my van, I have a simple rule.. If I take it off the road for a project or maintenance, I get it back on the road running ASAP.
Don't let it sit.
Plan each task with the idea that it is back on the street when done. 2 days, one week.. whatever,.. but none longer than a week or two. If you don't have the time to complete the task, then don't start it.. or find a pro to do it for you.

If I let things sit too long.. those things become an anchors on life.

I broke that rule last year and it sat garaged for several months.. Its the only time in 12 yrs I've owned this one.. when I began to think about selling it.
Keep driving the van and it will keep you enthused.

To your point on letting things fail before repairing.
I understand that temptation, too. But I've had two 150+ mile tows in the last 3 yrs due to things I let slide too long.. and those experiences can really drain the enthusiasm for the van, too.

Its gotta be a balance of pre-emptive maintenance, upgrades, and routine monitoring of systems.

iliketowalk Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:33 pm

Thanks for all the wisdom!

The light at the end of the tunnel seems a bit brighter / closer now knowing others have done it [and continue to do it].

Will try and get a handle on the scope creep...

I'm off to pull the trailing arms for new bushings and paint... :roll: :lol:

goffoz Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:34 pm

I so totally understand your situation :roll:
My syncro has been a 4yr project, even with a couple of 2wd drives to practice on and flip.
What really bugs me is the back tracking...like this week my drivers side window, plastic bit broke and jambed the window, after I fixed and reinstalled it, the window motor died :( ...I know its dead I pulled it ...again :roll: and tested it.
Then there is the AC rebuild , I paid for, worked for a week, and the original condenser (Oh yeah we tested it.GTG), fractured and dumped the frigerant.
I think I'll be pulling the dash soon...again...It seems the 3yr old heater core is leaking.
Its a never ending job...sometimes it gets ya down
I love my Nissan truck :D 14yrs/180K, basic service, always reliable.
I wonder if it'll still run when its 28yrs old :shock:
Were all crazy :D

iliketowalk Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:14 pm

Van is finally back on the road. Still a few more bits and pieces to go back in this weekend in prep for a roadtrip next week - but it moves.

Pictures to come pending completion of said bits and pieces. :)