TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Favorite feeler gauges?
briansandiego Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:19 pm

OK here's an easy one, and definitely air-cooled related...
Was adjusting my valves and noticed the numbers were wearing off my feeler gauges, and also wondered if the bent style gauge is easier to use. I'd like a set where the numbers wont go away.

Anyone have a favorite type?
Thanks!
B.

my59 Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:47 pm

I have a flat set and a bent set- it all depends on the room to work in. The flat can slide into places that the bent set cannot. The bent ones are handy for valves as the blade can be propped out of the way. Both sets are FLAPs sourced

Bruce Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:15 pm

My favourite feeler gauges are my metric set. None of that confusing inch crap!

Spezialist Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:37 pm

.006" is 1/4 turn on that tappet adjusting screw.

61SNRF Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:07 pm

During my time as an ACVW tech, most guys wouldn't use feeler gauges from a set for valve adjustments. Too heavy and bulky for one, as well as that you typically wear out and curl up the .004" and .006" so they don't fold back up into the handle easily.

The favored was a single, 12" long machinist's feeler gauge, available from any of the four or more tool trucks that showed up at the shop every week.
You can pull it into the gap and leave it there while you make the necessary fine +/- adjustments.

When the end gets too curled up to use, you can cut it a little shorter and you've got a brand new surface to work with.

cseay1 Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:43 pm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1173626

VOLKSWAGNUT Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:26 pm

A quality pair of both bent and straight tip Matco Go-No-Go feeler gauges work well for me.

Each has their place, I'd have to say for VW valves, I reach for the bent pair 4:1. The job can be done with either style just fine.

briansandiego Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:00 am

Thanks guys, I knew you'd have some good suggestions. I didn't even know the single machinist's feeler gauge existed, and that would be handy.
I'll probably pic up some quality bent gonogo.
B.

Glenn Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:44 am

I've been using a Blue Point (Snap On) Go Bo Go for years. If you treat it right it will last for years.

vdubmyk Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:39 am

Like what 61SNRF said, when I worked at a VW shop I used a long Snap-on feeler gauge. I might even have an extra one or so. They cost around $4.00 each. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?tool=all&a...apon-store