TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bed Extension
JudoJeff Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:20 am

I’m tall, and even sleeping on a diagonal, I felt cramped in the Westfalia. So I added an 11”x48” extension to the upper loft bed. It drops into place after you climb into bed, and lifts easily out. I used 2” foam, and covered it with scrap material. Everything was out of my scrap pile, so cost was zip. It stows nicely atop the rear of the bed while traveling.

I liked it so much, I decided to do the same thing with the lower bed. Hmmm, didn’t want my head or feet sticking out the back. I had made a room out of old bedsheets that went around the hatch, framing out a room. Ugly, but it worked. Then found out about SUV tents, and picked up a used Explorer 2 for $90 on Ebay. Fits perfectly on the Westy!

I used scraps again, making the base out of 3/4x46”x24” birch plywood. Edges were rounded off and sanded, and the last of the fabric was used. The foam piece cost me $28 new. The foam is 4”x46”x18”, covered in fabric, with the extra wood left bare. (about 6”)

I stapled the front edge, then folded the fabric up and over then under the plywood, stapling the edges like any upholstery job. No sewing required yet. The uncovered wood fits under the existing foam bed pad, and stows on top for traveling.

I wanted extra support, so bought straps at Walmart for around $3, put metal clips I had on one end, and a metal piece screwed into the plywood. I sewed the straps onto the metal pieces, and I clip them to the inner door edge to support the bed. You could just screw one end of the straps into the plywood.

Total setup or takedown takes all of 2 minutes. Very comfortable to sleep on with all the extra room!

This is the Explorer 2 on the hatch, I'm starting to layout the design.

This is the completed bed extension, the wood goes under the existing foam.

Closeup of the clip on the gutter, just gravity, no screws, etc

Bottom of the bed, I used metal cleats and sewed the strap on, you can just screw the strap into the wood.

This is the extension stowed for travel, fits perfectly.

I hope this helps if you decide to make one. Took me less than an hour.
I didn't take photos of the upstair bed extension, but it's just as easy.

Gnarlodious Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:24 am

No screws? What kind of self-respecting bed is that?

JudoJeff Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:44 am

I used the extensions at the Cape this week, and they work great. The Explorer 2 around the rear hatch gives you the feeling you're sleeping in a large room.
I posted photos in the gallery, but no luck copying them here, sorry.

On a side note, I posted pictures of the upper bunk extension. It still leaves about 10 inches of opening, but I doubt a child could fall through it. Another reason to make that easy project!

dobryan Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:52 am

JudoJeff wrote:
I posted photos in the gallery, but no luck copying them here, sorry.

Here you go.

JudoJeff Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:32 am

Thanks, Dave, stick the other 3 in too.

dobryan Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:56 am

JudoJeff wrote: Thanks, Dave, stick the other 3 in too.

Easy enough for you to do.

When you are looking at the picture in your gallery there should be a long box on the upper right with the forum code in it. Just copy that code and paste it into this thread. Do NOT add any 'img' before or after, it is already good to go. Try that. :D

JudoJeff Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:31 pm

Dave,
For reasons which are not clear to me, I can't copy any of it. I have a Mac, and had to ask Everett for help to get the pictures in.

I just tried again, and no luck.
Jeff

dobryan Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:33 pm

Weird. I use a mac at home and have no issue.... :?

Have you tried clicking on the image so that it opens and then copying the code then?