TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Seized door tumblers on 1967 Double Cab
NorthernBC Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:11 pm

I dragged a Double Cab out of the forest and I am slowly getting into it...has anyone ever dealt with seized door tumblers?? The passenger door is closed and will not budge! Any thoughts?? Drill hinge pins, torch...anything! Thanks

williamM Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:20 pm

Mine went into a pan of gas over night - then lots of carbspray while pushing and pulling the key thru the tumblers- finally some oil and when finally done cleaning again- some dry graphite.- all but one came back to the team.

I did need a jewlers hammer to tap the key and loosen the tumblers.

Or- just send the whole mess to Garcia.

NorthernBC Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:37 am

I'd love to be able to soak them but I need to get the door open first to remove the darn thing! ha ha ...All I have been doing so far is spraying it with Liquid Wrench and waiting...

williamM Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:05 am

Patience grasshopper :lol: :lol:

Can you get the inside panel off and pull the rod with a vice grips?

FritzCP Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:41 am

take a thin but sturdy screwdriver through the door gap and hit the U latch on the back part to try and get it to let go of the b pillar latch pin.

have a helper try pushing the button on the door handle in at the same time. make sure the door is in unlocked position if possible. hose down the inner latch mechanism with PB blaster or the like - inside the door.

Ive freed a few doors this way. you do not need a ton of force, just some well placed blows on the rear of the U as it faces inward when in "open" position, and you are trying to help it get there.

Do not pry on the door, jambs, etc you will just bend the sheet metal.

NorthernBC Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:36 pm

Inside door panel is off....everything is soaked in penetrant and nothing budges...I will try the hammer to the U thingy again....believe me it is stubborn!

[email protected] Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:48 pm

Kroil Oil from Kano is one of the ultimate's in penetrating oil. You can also try a 50/50 mix of 100% acetone and dextron/mercron automatic transmission fluid. From what I've read, the acetone/trans fluid separates like oil/water, so you need to shake it up real well in your applicator.

67 Sunroof Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:42 pm

That has to be the coolest thing ever!! Pulling it out of the woods!!!???
Hell yeah man! That's awesome!!