TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Flywheel Question
LeninCas Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:31 am

Can I put a 8 dowel lightened flywheel on a 4 dowel crank?

Would you recommend it?

Or should I stick to a stock 4 dowel crank?

Motor is a 1641 DP.

jfats808 Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:47 am

Yes you can.

Quokka42 Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:30 am

Yes. The 8 dowel pattern is 4 added to the stock 4, so it will fit just fine. There is no "keying" in the 4 dowel pattern, so if it is balanced to the crank they will have to add a mark for you.

VWCOOL Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:42 am

Is this a temporary 'bush fix'? They won't be balanced together

LeninCas Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:39 am

This is the way I plan on leaving it.

I'm guessing I will just have to have it balanced before being able to use it. Is this correct?

PumaVW79 Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:43 am

You can also to ask to get the unused holes of the flywheel filled with weld.

Edit: It is what they do in some places when the original holes are in an oval shape - weld and then drill new ones in-between the old holes.

williamM Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:45 am

All that is balanced independently at the factory.- you should have no problems.

If you are changing things from stock- like lighter FW or chevy rods/bigger pistons/ stroked crank- then you would want to balance everything as none of it came from the factory- but pure stock- no problems.

56vwoval Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:28 pm

Check end play!

Dr OnHolliday Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:06 pm

Or buy an 8-dowel drilling jig, drill bits and reamer and drill your crank to be an 8-dowel...

LeninCas Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:35 pm

Thanks guys! Appreciate the input.

I don't know if the 8 dowel lightened flywheel will be balanced with my 4 dowel crank so I think I will go with a stock 4 dowel flywheel.

Quokka42 Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:58 am

Neither type of new crank will necessarily be balanced with your crank. All stock parts are individually balanced. It is only when you blueprint an engine you will have the rotating parts balanced together.

If you like snappier engine response and are good at changing gears, get a lightened flywheel.

If you are happy with the time it takes to change gears with a stock flywheel, use it. If you have warmed your engine up to rev higher, that time may increase a little (you have to wait for the stock flywheel to spin down before you can get into the next gear.)