TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Correct engine tin, tinware ?
Redfea1 Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:25 am

Ive been searching for most of the day trying to find out what tinware i should have for my 67 bus but havent been able to! I am in the process of building a twinport 1955cc small stroker. The engine was previously a 1641 and the tin in the picture is what it had been running with before it died. Hopefully someone can help answer some of the questions i have.

Should I get a lower doghouse tin to go below doghouse tin (no.2), and should front tin (no.1) have the rectangular hole in it for this to go through?

(no.4) deflector is solid with no holes in it, although it does need replacing as it has rusted away. Should the deflector on the other side (no.3) also be solid and the same shape, but opposite, rather than the one with cutouts on the bottom that i have?

Do i need to get the small insulation cover pieces that go round the carb preheat pipes?

I am going to be using a single dual progressive weber carb and there is no breather pipe from the oil filler.

Hope someone can help me, I usually find the answers by serching but im stuck here! :?

Thanks

Is there anything else i have missed too?

sxuxrxf Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:53 am

See bold... Redfea1 wrote:

Should I get a lower doghouse tin to go below doghouse tin (no.2) YES , and should front tin (no.1) have the rectangular hole in it for this to go through? YES ,if the shroud is actually a doghouse shroud.

(no.4) deflector is solid with no holes in it, although it does need replacing as it has rusted away. Should the deflector on the other side (no.3) also be solid and the same shape, but opposite, rather than the one with cutouts on the bottom that i have? THOSE ARE CORRECT PIECES

Tin #1 should have the rectangular hole. If you can't find the correct piece, just mock it up and cut yours. If that's how it was running as a 1641, all the heat from the oil cooler was just heating up the engine compartment.
Items #3 and 4 are correct. They are not symmetrical.

Redfea1 Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:15 am

Great, thanks for your help, Ill start searching for the missing pieces!

gt1953 Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:03 pm

Search and watch the classifieds they will be your friend. I finally found the Marathon wheel center caps practically impossible to locate.