TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Front window screens for vanagons westy or tintop Page: 1, 2  Next
backyard_cnc Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:30 pm

Heres a slip in window screen I built that fits either a westy or a tintop. It goes along with my extremely popular skylight screens and also my newest rear slider screen to fully ventilate your vanagon when camping. It slips into the window track and is held in place with a gentle pressure from the window glass.

My classified ad can be seen here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1650932

Gerald

tam_shops Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:16 pm

Looks great! I had a fabric set that I made, but they've already scratched my paint. Not too pleased about that!

Inside pictures? And, where do you suggest storing them? I'm worried they'd get bent/broken.

tam

backyard_cnc Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:29 pm

I keep mine behind the rear seat but they could also be placed on the top bunk before the top is closed. No inside pics posted but I will try to take a few later and post. The nature of the PVC frame is that it is quite flexible so should be tough in use and I use that fact to advantage as they are flexed to fit into place. The screen is a fine No See-UM insect resistant type but of course you can poke holes in it if not careful like any screen.

Gerald

boof1306 Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:43 pm

Any pics of the inside? How does the screen attach to the frame?

backyard_cnc Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:08 pm

Screens flex and slip into the window track all around and at the bottom they have a slot that fit over the glass.

Heres what the bottom profile of the screen looks like. The window glass slips into this slot to hold the screen up into place. The square edge is the inside. I hope to post a quick youtube video in the next few days to show how they install.

Gerald

Wellington Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:22 pm

I like what you are doing, I'm a bit anal at times, but how about the upper left corner having a radius to match the door's original widow opening? CNC, it is just a small program update

backyard_cnc Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:26 pm

Yes that is on my list of design changes for the final production version.

Thanks

Gerald

regis101 Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:59 pm

Excellent. Howz about some louvers to keep out rain? Just askin'

syncrodoka Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:16 pm

regis101 wrote: Excellent. Howz about some louvers to keep out rain? Just askin'
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_486_1036/german-front-window-vent.html

What's with all of the ads in the general forum lately?

kryptkat Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:20 pm

not to hijack the thread but if you want louvers Van Café offer these.

dobryan Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:43 pm

kryptkat wrote: not to hijack the thread but if you want louvers Van Café offer these.

I had a set of those years ago and gave up on them because they allow very little air flow. They are OK to provide a small amount of ventilation during storage but do not at all help keep the temp down inside. YMMV.

msinabottle Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:34 pm

The mesh kind-- I used iron-on edging tape and earth magnets--allow MUCH more air--but I'm using the metal front louvers, got mine (for more, drat it) at CIP.

The place where I work in summer and live in Winston is prone to sudden severe rain storms, and Winston got pretty flooded once when I couldn't get up to him in time. The louvers don't admit the rain and are also rather more theft-proof and perhaps more bear resistant. I HATE it when a wasp gets into the van.

I did keep the old mesh ones, though. Dave and I have another great means of ventilating the vans in rainy weather! Speaking of louvers...

Best!

Ahwahnee Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:10 am

Very nice (& crafty) items -- make my magnetic screens that I got from JCWhitney 25 years ago look pretty lame.

I store mine under everything else on the top bunk, will probably do the same with these.

backyard_cnc Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:36 pm

The metal inserted louvers screens are very heavy and allow very little airflow. They do however offer security so if you want to park your van somewhere and leave them in you should be as safe as if the windows are up............by the way have you ever seen how car windows shatter with a spring loaded center punch? Its the way experienced crooks break car windows, very little noise compared to a brick or hammer and the glass just explodes. Witnessed some kids do it to a car on my street a few years ago. I chased the little buggers but alas a middle aged man in his slippers is no match for 2 teenagers in runners from a speed point of view. The point being is we don't have security from thiefs who want into your van so we may as well have max airflow and camp with a big dog!.

My screens are about lightweight and max airflow and they seem to offer both. Your sleeping comfort will be considerably improved for sure!

Gerald

backyard_cnc Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:48 pm

Installation Video for Window screens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ogwRaBdZGs&feature=youtu.be

Ahwahnee Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:27 pm

backyard_cnc wrote: Installation Video for Window screens...

Was that Brad Pitt?

backyard_cnc Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:31 pm

in a previous life...................but hey no need to get personal! Gonna loose weight again though so I can increase the HP per pound ratio of my air-cooled westy :oops: every little bit helps in these "slow moving vehicles"! :sleeping:

SteveVanB Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:53 pm

Quote: Dave and I have another great means of ventilating the vans in rainy weather! Speaking of louvers...
I've seen those somewhere...... :wink:

backyard_cnc Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:23 pm

For anybody following this thread and possibly thinking of ordering front screen inserts I will be taking a short Hiatus from screen building due to other commitments over the coming 2~3 weeks. I am currently out of stock on front screens. I do have a limited supply of rear slider tintop screens and a reasonable stock of skylight screens that can ship but once they are gone I won't build more until later in the month. Any orders already paid have been shipped and all pending orders will be processed.

Sorry if this inconveniences anyone.

Gerald

backyard_cnc Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:22 pm

I am currently building screens to order as required. Ordering details in my classified ad or by PM.

Gerald