TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wavy seat fix???
Memphalia Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:40 pm

Has anyone ever attempted to straighten out the wavy seat edges on late model vanagon front seats. I am referring to the plastic edge on the seams.

IdahoDoug Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:08 pm

It's not worth the trouble. The plastic in the welting is slightly too long. This length is spread perfectly evenly all along the welting placing it under pressure. The cure would be to cut out the welting and sew it back in with *slightly* less tension on the fabric. I have seen gorgeous hyper low mile Vanagons with this same "feature" so I suggest you live with it.

If it makes you feel better, this wavy welting has been a problem forever. In the mid 80s, I had quite an argument with several plant managers over this in brand new Buicks, Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs. They were coming off the line with the wavy welting. They insisted that was the specified way because that's the way they always were. I sent a runner to retrieve the actual paper spec and it showed straight welting. Months of trying later, they were unable to provide seats with straight welting, so we lived with it. It's a challenge not worth taking up. I think the welting gets more wavy with age/sunlight/heat.

DougM