TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What are we going to do for parts
1vw4x4 Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:17 pm

This piece is N/A and I need about 10 of them. Problem is most people
don't even know its bad or gone in there vanagon until I point it out.
Anyone have a fix or know where to find these?

Dampcamper Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:23 pm

Looks like a job for a 3-D printer.

drossen Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:50 pm

Dampcamper wrote: Looks like a job for a 3-D printer.

In about 5-10 years 3d printers will be the saving grace of so many hobbies. Metal 3d printing, higher quality plastics, I can't wait.

levi Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:56 pm

Ok, I guess I have to ask.... whatzit

syncrodoka Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:09 pm

levi wrote: Ok, I guess I have to ask.... whatzit

It lives in the slot at the end of the slider track and reduces the noise of the bearing slapping the end when it is closed.

I have replaced it on both of my vans when they were available and it isn't a gigantic difference but it was designed to be there.

RaraBlacksheep Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:23 pm

What is it made of? Rubber? Hard plastic?

syncrodoka Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:25 pm

A pliable plastic.

tam_shops Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:06 am

Where? The black thing? Boys with 4am pees, if I don't have one, I want one!

tam
syncrodoka wrote: levi wrote: Ok, I guess I have to ask.... whatzit

It lives in the slot at the end of the slider track and reduces the noise of the bearing slapping the end when it is closed.

I have replaced it on both of my vans when they were available and it isn't a gigantic difference but it was designed to be there.

insyncro Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:44 am

They are not NLA, just NLA at US VW dealers.
The box of them that I have came from Germany, was purchased and shipped for short money.
The wait for them was less than 10 days.

The answer to the title of the thread is, plan ahead and get use to looking outside this country for parts to service and restore a Vanagon.

1vw4x4 Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:21 am

Not only does it "reduce noise" but it prevents the horizontal bearing
from eventually breaking.

syncrodoka wrote: levi wrote: Ok, I guess I have to ask.... whatzit

syncrodoka Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:10 am

Yes, if you leave parts in disrepair long enough they can fail but that is fairly obvious so I didn't mention it.

How many people go through the effort to replace the old slider bearings?
If you are looking ahead stock up on these, particularly the lower bearing since it takes most of the slider weight. All of the other bearings are just cartridge bearings and can be sourced easily but these 2 are specific and I haven't found a source for them other than VW despite looking through many bearing catalogs online.
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_2085_1085/sliding_door_lower_vertical_bearing.html
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1504_1085/vertical-rear-roller-on-sliding-door-arm.html