TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 901 trans into notchback
bigashlow Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:20 pm

OK need someone whom has stuff the 901 5speed into the type3. I have the linkage hooked up but it could shift smoother? I know that Bug@5speed sells a shifter for the Bug apps but the type3 's has that rear sub frame that is not part of pan. the problem is routing of the shift rod& shifter placement needs to be drop a few inches. Sooo....who's got photos of there install of the 901 box into type3?

Nate M. Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:05 am

I've got a 923 from a Porsche 912E in mine which requires about the same modifications. On this page of my thread, you can get an idea how I did mine. I have significantly refined the linkage since these photos were taken in order to get the shifting perfect just like a 911, but this should get you started on one way to skin the ol' cat.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...p;start=60

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a bug@5-speed kit for a type3. All your parts still end up in the wrong spot and the subframe is something you will have to get around. With a lot of thought and planning and some welding, it can be done.

Stefan T Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:49 am

her's one way to do it

Erik G Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:45 am

Whats the reasoning to go 901? They are pretty expensive on not very strong. Having owned a Porsche with a 901, I can't imagine wanting one in a VW let alone all the fab work. They are cool and all, but I don't see the point. The high gear is even the same as the 902 4 speed, just different low gears

Nate M. Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:01 pm

Erik G wrote: Whats the reasoning to go 901? They are pretty expensive on not very strong. Having owned a Porsche with a 901, I can't imagine wanting one in a VW let alone all the fab work. They are cool and all, but I don't see the point. The high gear is even the same as the 902 4 speed, just different low gears

Not very strong?? Huh?? You can plug 400+hp V8s to a 901 and that's not strong enough for a 60-125hp VW motor??

Since 1st gear is only supported on one side by a bearing, the 901 does not lend itself to drag racing, but they were never made for that anyway. They're hardly what I would call weak transmissions. There are better transmissions like a 915 or even a G50, but you could buy 5 901s for the cost of a 915 and a literal truck load for the cost of a single G50.

For under $1K, someone could go on craigslist and purchase 4-5 901s, the 2 special tools needed to rebuild them and the DVD from "Dr. Evil" to show you how to rebuild them. If you started with 5, you could harvest enough parts to rebuild 2 and make all your money back and still have one for yourself. Then sell the rest of the gear sets and syncros on eBay and be money ahead.

A used 901 can be had for what most folks try and sell a used VW trans for.

Clatter Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:12 pm

I guess I could include my build...
It's not done, but should eventually work.
Buried in here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=581759

vlad01 Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:16 am

Nate M. wrote: Erik G wrote: Whats the reasoning to go 901? They are pretty expensive on not very strong. Having owned a Porsche with a 901, I can't imagine wanting one in a VW let alone all the fab work. They are cool and all, but I don't see the point. The high gear is even the same as the 902 4 speed, just different low gears

Not very strong?? Huh?? You can plug 400+hp V8s to a 901 and that's not strong enough for a 60-125hp VW motor??

Since 1st gear is only supported on one side by a bearing, the 901 does not lend itself to drag racing, but they were never made for that anyway. They're hardly what I would call weak transmissions. There are better transmissions like a 915 or even a G50, but you could buy 5 901s for the cost of a 915 and a literal truck load for the cost of a single G50.

For under $1K, someone could go on craigslist and purchase 4-5 901s, the 2 special tools needed to rebuild them and the DVD from "Dr. Evil" to show you how to rebuild them. If you started with 5, you could harvest enough parts to rebuild 2 and make all your money back and still have one for yourself. Then sell the rest of the gear sets and syncros on eBay and be money ahead.

A used 901 can be had for what most folks try and sell a used VW trans for.

Thats cheap! I see why people go for them. I had the impression they were expensive.

Erik G Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:33 am

LOL where in the world are you finding 901's that cheap? I have a bunch of 911 and 912 folks who would love to know. A quality rebuild will run you north of a grand. Sure, thats not just slapping some ok parts in an ok box... 2nd is the gear thats always bad. You absolutely cannot downshift into first either, and downshifting into 2nd you really need to rev match.

Nate M. Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:56 am

Erik G wrote: LOL where in the world are you finding 901's that cheap? I have a bunch of 911 and 912 folks who would love to know. A quality rebuild will run you north of a grand. Sure, thats not just slapping some ok parts in an ok box... 2nd is the gear thats always bad. You absolutely cannot downshift into first either, and downshifting into 2nd you really need to rev match.

They can be had on craigslist for between $150-$250 just about any day of the week.

The 1st/Rev. slider and syncro/band and 2nd gear syncro/band are the #1 problems you find with these boxes. 3rd thru 5th gear syncros/bands are 99% of the time in like-new condition. If you pick-up 4 used boxes, you will likely have one or two good 1st/rev sliders and 12 perfectly good sets of syncros and brake bands to use. A gasket kit from Pelican will set you back $40 or so. This is not rocket science here. If you have to buy a 1st/rev slider, that'll set you back around $400. The 1st gear syncro/band set can be replaced by a 2nd thru 5th set and this makes downshifting into 1st a lot easier, but these transmissions were never designed for downshifting into first. 1st gear was only to get you off the line.

People get damage these 1st gears by using them in a way that they were never intended. Hence the un-deserved reputation. . .

Any Porsche trans is going to be expensive if you pay to have it rebuilt at a shop. Count on $1500+ depending on what is bad inside for a 901/902. 'Course, you'll still have $1K in an equally built VW trans and you'll only have 4 gears and much higher gearing. Or you can opt for a Berg 5-speed and have around $4K when all is said and done. :lol:

Erik G Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:36 am

Searching all of craigslist, and yes searching for Porsche 901 will not bring up people that just advertise "Porsche trans", comes up with one transmission in the US currently. $1100

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pts/4563460580.html

here's a 902 box. Same first, same high gear

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/pts/4596313617.html

So I searched for "Porsche transmission" within 1000Miles. Zero hits.

How long ago did you buy 4-5 transmissions for under $1K? I don't think it's quite that easy to just jump on craigslist and find them for $150 -$250 any day of the week. Thats all I'm saying, lots of money for what? The gearing really isnt better

I've never seen a first gear problem on a 901 equipped 911 or 912. 2nd gear is another story. Every one I've ever driven requires double clutching from first to second, and rev matching to dowshift to 2nd. Of course downshifting to first is a no-no, thats the whole point of the 901

Tram Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Nate M. wrote: Erik G wrote: LOL where in the world are you finding 901's that cheap? I have a bunch of 911 and 912 folks who would love to know. A quality rebuild will run you north of a grand. Sure, thats not just slapping some ok parts in an ok box... 2nd is the gear thats always bad. You absolutely cannot downshift into first either, and downshifting into 2nd you really need to rev match.

They can be had on craigslist for between $150-$250 just about any day of the week.

The 1st/Rev. slider and syncro/band and 2nd gear syncro/band are the #1 problems you find with these boxes. 3rd thru 5th gear syncros/bands are 99% of the time in like-new condition. If you pick-up 4 used boxes, you will likely have one or two good 1st/rev sliders and 12 perfectly good sets of syncros and brake bands to use. A gasket kit from Pelican will set you back $40 or so. This is not rocket science here. If you have to buy a 1st/rev slider, that'll set you back around $400. The 1st gear syncro/band set can be replaced by a 2nd thru 5th set and this makes downshifting into 1st a lot easier, but these transmissions were never designed for downshifting into first. 1st gear was only to get you off the line.

People get damage these 1st gears by using them in a way that they were never intended. Hence the un-deserved reputation. . .

Any Porsche trans is going to be expensive if you pay to have it rebuilt at a shop. Count on $1500+ depending on what is bad inside for a 901/902. 'Course, you'll still have $1K in an equally built VW trans and you'll only have 4 gears and much higher gearing. Or you can opt for a Berg 5-speed and have around $4K when all is said and done. :lol:

I'll take ten. Where are they?

Nate M. Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:36 pm

6 months ago I bought a lot of 5 901s with some other parts for $800 from a guy off craigslist. They are out there, but you're going to have to look and network to find them. Having a shop helps because a lot of parts find me. :wink:

The 914 boxes are the cheapest and have all the parts needed to rebuild the 911 box needed for the Notch or any of the VWs.

Tram Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:34 pm

Nate M. wrote: 6 months ago I bought a lot of 5 901s with some other parts for $800 from a guy off craigslist. They are out there, but you're going to have to look and network to find them. Having a shop helps because a lot of parts find me. :wink:

The 914 boxes are the cheapest and have all the parts needed to rebuild the 911 box needed for the Notch or any of the VWs.

OK, so it's a "this one time at band camp" type story, not really an "all kinds of them all over Craigslist for $150- 200 any day of the week" type story.

Got it.

Nate M. Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:49 pm

Tram wrote: Nate M. wrote: 6 months ago I bought a lot of 5 901s with some other parts for $800 from a guy off craigslist. They are out there, but you're going to have to look and network to find them. Having a shop helps because a lot of parts find me. :wink:

OK, so it's a "this one time at band camp" type story, not really an "all kinds of them all over Craigslist for $150- 200 any day of the week" type story.

Got it.

Tram, I'll break it down so even a know-it-all :roll: Tramsexual like you can understand. . . I was asked when the last time was that I purchased a bunch cheap. Over the past 5 years I've purchased over 20 901/902 trannys and have never pad more than $250. Typically I won't pay more than $200 because you're buying a mystery that needs to be rebuilt.

I don't expect you to understand what I'm saying or talking about since you don't know me or really anything about me. If you have a problem with me or think I'm full of shit, pick up the phone and call me like a man and I'm sure we can talk about it. My number is on my sig line below. But don't call me a liar from behind your keyboard like a pussy and take pot-shots from the cheap seats just because you're board on a Friday night because you are board.

That shit is beneath you and this board. Grow up!

Tram Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:39 pm

Nate M. wrote: Tram wrote: Nate M. wrote: 6 months ago I bought a lot of 5 901s with some other parts for $800 from a guy off craigslist. They are out there, but you're going to have to look and network to find them. Having a shop helps because a lot of parts find me. :wink:

Got it.

Tram, I'll break it down so even a know-it-all :roll: Tramsexual like you can understand. . . I was asked when the last time was that I purchased a bunch cheap. Over the past 5 years I've purchased over 20 901/902 trannys and have never pad more than $250. Typically I won't pay more than $200 because you're buying a mystery that needs to be rebuilt.

I don't expect you to understand what I'm saying or talking about since you don't know me or really anything about me. If you have a problem with me or think I'm full of shit, pick up the phone and call me like a man and I'm sure we can talk about it. My number is on my sig line below. But don't call me a liar from behind your keyboard like a pussy and take pot-shots from the cheap seats just because you're board on a Friday night because you are board.

That shit is beneath you and this board. Grow up!

You don't know me either, so be a man and grow up, as you like to say- and adjust your sarcasm meter while you're working on that. :wink: I thought you were responding to my "I'll take ten" comment. I guess you were responding to Erik. Since you didn't bother to say who that was directed at, feel free to deal with the consequences. I'm not a mindreader- specially for someone who thinks Type 4 shit belongs in a Type 3. That's crazy talk!!! :lol:

I love it when you damn newbies come on here and tell us old timers how it's gonna be. Neener neener. :wink:

Lighten up, Francis.

Erik G Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:15 pm

a lot of 5 from one guy hardly constitutes "They can be had on craigslist for between $150-$250 just about any day of the week." They can't now. 5 years ago, sure, I can't argue that, I don't have a way back machine, but it's believable. that one guy you happened to find that had 5, sure. but not regularly. not now. Everything 911 and 912 has skyrocketed in the last 2 years.

The rest of your rant... I'll leave it at that. You got a good deal on 5. That is not the norm

vlad01 Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:34 am

:popcorn: