TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: swivel ball valve adjusters don't line up
sloboatnova Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:15 am

I'm trying to put Scat pro-street 1.25-1 ratio rockers on my new DRD heads and the flats on the swivel ball don't line up with the valve at TDC. It's off to the side so far it hangs over the valve stem. There is only one shim on the side of the rocker so removing it for alignment doesnt seem like it will work. Out of 4, I could shift shims to fix 1 rocker. Pics below

94 x 69 with engle w-110 DRD 049 40x35 heads.

Setting geometry sounds straight forward, but this is all a big pain in the but. I have .120 under the blocks now and it seams like it may need a touch more to get the adjuster in line with the valve stem at 1/2 lift.

What can I do about the sideways allignment?

I'm considering using my stock rockers, but would have to decide what type of adjusters to use.

On a seperate but related topic, 1 side of the my old engine my other stock rockers came from are all worn down. The other side look fine. What could cause this?

Dale M. Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:38 am

Rockers are misshaped because they are adjusted incorrectly ... Probably one side on engine is wider than other..... That is why poor wear pattern on rocker as "geometry" is off.... Also note amount of threads showing on adjusters, this a clue to what going on with geometry... You misshaped rocker are "hammered" on the edge instead of full face contact....

Dale

jsturtlebuggy Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:28 pm

When using swivel feet you really need to grind the end of the rocker arm that is towards the valve approx. .060" or even with the other part of rocker arm. This give more clearance for the swivel feet.
This subject has been covered many times. Do a search and you will find pictures showing what needs to be done.