TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: turn signals
JRCashHighwayman Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:32 pm

Another question, this time about turn signals

My turn signals were working just fine, until I went over some very very rough streets, which really shook the car (and me) around. When I get home, I notice that the turn signals no longer flash, they just stay on when activated. I assume that something has been knocked loose and simply needs to be reconnected. I have been searching both the car and my wiring diagram for the correct place to look, and now I am asking here. For reference, this is a 1965 VW Bug, and as far as I know, the original wiring is in place, or mostly in place, at least in regards to the headlights, horn, and turn signals.

Any thoughts? :)

mukluk Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:17 pm

Check that your flasher relay is still grounded... on VWs, the relay is commonly grounded via its mount bracket, usually mounted to the support strut in front of the speedometer; with the jostling around yours may have come loose.

Wayne S. Johnson Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:48 pm

The flasher needs the current from both bulbs to flash. If both sides fail to flash it's something common to both sides like the flasher.

glutamodo Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:22 pm

In addition to the above, when you say they "just stay on" when activated, do you mean the dash bulb is staying on? That's what happens when you lose power to the flasher relay - the indicator bulb has its own power source and lights up when the switch is activated (at least on mid 63-65 and 71-newer flasher relays that don't have the "K" terminal)

Did you check your horn, brake lights and wipers as well?.... they use the same fuse, the one on the far left of the fusebox. It could be as simple as the fuse making poor contact.

-Andy

and regarding the grounded stock flasher relays, the note from the Workshop Manual: