TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: front torsion bar
Damian Gomez Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:33 pm

I've tried searching but could someone explain or post a link on how to access the front torsion leaves inside the beam, it's a link pin beam also

VOLKSWAGNUT Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:29 pm

To be direct... if you are accessing the torsion springs..... especially a Link Pin beam.... you need to buy a manual..
Even the cheapo Haynes manual can help.

but http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200

ThingBeast Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:45 am

Damian, volkswagnut is right. If you need to access the torsion springs, be sure you are aware of how the front end of a king pin beam works. Many people will lower their cars without any understanding of what happens when you alter the front end geometry. Go pick up a manual for your year car and read it. Also, do some research on here and on youtube and believe me, you will learn a lot. I completely removed the entire front end of my 61 to swap out the beam with a narrowed and adjustable beam. I did about 4 months of research before I even removed 1 nut. Everything turned out great for me. I even learned how to align the front end myself. My car drives like stock after lowering it 3.5" inches, no scraping and drives straight as an arrow. What are you trying to do by accessing the torsion leaves? A little more detail and we may be able to shed some light.

Fathertyme Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:46 am

ThingBeast wrote: Damian, volkswagnut is right. If you need to access the torsion springs, be sure you are aware of how the front end of a king pin beam works. Many people will lower their cars without any understanding of what happens when you alter the front end geometry. Go pick up a manual for your year car and read it. Also, do some research on here and on youtube and believe me, you will learn a lot. I completely removed the entire front end of my 61 to swap out the beam with a narrowed and adjustable beam. I did about 4 months of research before I even removed 1 nut. Everything turned out great for me. I even learned how to align the front end myself. My car drives like stock after lowering it 3.5" inches, no scraping and drives straight as an arrow. What are you trying to do by accessing the torsion leaves? A little more detail and we may be able to shed some light.

Hey Thingbeast I may be hitting you up I just rescued a 61 from a field of 20yrs so when it is time to do the front end I may need some advice ..........