TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Magneto wiring diagram
vwhelmot Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:32 pm

About to install my hunt mag. Does anyone have any pointers / wiring diagram to help me. I know its prob very straight forward but just wanted to make sure before I jump in!
Cheers

Dale M. Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:24 am

What wiring diagram.... All I have ever seen is a terminal on mag body to apply a ground to to short out mag (kill it).... Other wise its getting firing order correct...

http://www.huntmagnetos.com/instructions-1/

BUT some body will come along and prove me wrong....

Dale

vwhelmot Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:52 am

So I just need a separate ground switch on the dash?
I have no wire coming out of the mag body, just a terminal supposedly for a ground?

Dale M. Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:33 am

vwhelmot wrote: So I just need a separate ground switch on the dash?
I have no wire coming out of the mag body, just a terminal supposedly for a ground?

Magneto is a self contained high voltage generator (totally independent of vehicles electrical system) with points and rotor just like a distributor.... Only control you have is if terminal is grounded it WILL NOT generate any electricity there for engine will not run, or if engine is running, putting ground on terminal will stop it (magneto) from generating electricity and kill engine....

Yes you need a switch with ground on one side of it and wire to terminal of magneto on other side.... Watch out, because with typical switch "OFF" mag will produce electricity (because ground is off or removed from control terminal) ... With Switch ON it will actually short (ground-kill) magneto....

You could also use a relay to control grounding circuit, if you have relay that has open contacts when relay is operated (key on)...

Dale