TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Removing side trim
1963VEEDUB Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:46 pm

Can anyone enlighten me on how to remove the side trim on my 63? I'm prepping for paint and I don't want to bend the pieces trying to get them off the wrong way. Thanks!

stale air Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:51 pm

1963VEEDUB wrote: Can anyone enlighten me on how to remove the side trim on my 63? I'm prepping for paint and I don't want to bend the pieces trying to get them off the wrong way. Thanks!

If they are to stuck on to use your fingers....

Just take your time, and you should be able to save the old moldings. Also, if you are gutting your car to paint, then you can also try to "pop" them, by pushing on the clips from inside the car.

1963VEEDUB Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:52 pm

Thank you! I haven't tried pulling them yet. Just wanted to make sure I don't damage them.

grandpa pete Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:19 pm

Slide a butter knife under the trim . slide the knife along under the trim until you bump into a clip and then twist the butter knife to pop off the clip 8)

1963VEEDUB Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:20 pm

You sir, are the man!

GB2S Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:57 pm

Once you remove the trim, a safe and economical way to store the pieces is to get a cardboard mailing tube. We throw them away at work,. They are available at office supply stores

Geoff

61SNRF Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:02 pm

A 2" wide, thin putty knife is my preferred tool over a butter knife, you might even have one in your home tool kit if you do any drywall patching or Spackling. For sure if you can get to the back side push or compress the clip from behind as you pry up from the outside.

I would also one day like to try hitest's method of using some thin nylon webbing/strapping threaded right under where each clip is then pulling
up. One on each side of the clip may be best. The kind of common stuff they use to strap boxes to pallets would suffice.

The clips are spring steel, so with any method it doesn't hurt to shoot some WD-40 into their holes to loosen up the scale and corrosion before trying to pry them off either.

drscope Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:03 am

Take off the door panels and the rear quarter panels and you can easily get to most of the clips inside the body. Then just reach in and squeeze them and push them out of the holes. There is NO chance of damaging the trim doing it this way.

But on the other hand, if you are painting the car, new stainless trim looks really nice!