TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: over-all width?
jammied Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:58 pm

I am thinking of building a trail/road buggy but for the trails here I have to stay 62" or less. What would have to be done to a stock vw pan? Thanks for any help

dirtkeeper Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:54 am

I'm at 64" edge of tread to edge of tread. My tires are slightly offset out and bigger on the rears and thing front end is 1" wider.

I don't think you have to do anything except get the right tire and wheel set up.

DHale_510 Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:09 am

Stock Bugs are 58"front and 59"rear wide with 4" wheels and 6" x 26" tires. The common/standard baja Bug has 8" rear wheels and 10" x 31" tires. This goes out to 68" wide. The fancier 3x3" racer stuff gets you out to 76" or so, you will not want this. Narrowing the rear suspension is a big deal [drag racers do it, but you will not want to] and little can be changed with the wheel offset due to the location of suspension plates and arms. Maybe 6" wheels and 8" tires would work just fine for you.
The Baja Bug I built for my Dad to use as a building inspector's ride in Idaho ran the wide setup in the summer and the narrow setup in the winter both for snow traction and to keep the car "single tracking" in ruts. It would work back and forth with different front and rear widths.
Dennis

jammied Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:11 pm

Thanks for the info. I did meausued my baja and it is close to 66" And my other bugs don't have the wheels mounted. So my half finished second baja( actually my first vw) should work good for a trail/street machine