TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: When to say enough?
ach60 Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:06 pm

When to say enough?
I’m sitting here at age 54 with 3 VW’s to my name a ’78 Convertible, a ’01 Passat, ’05 NB Convertible.
The question is being asked concerning how long to keep the Passat.
The Passat wagon is ’01 GLX 5 speed V6 with 127000 miles. The timing Belt etc. have 12000 on them since done, and a new clutch etc. was installed 2000 miles ago.
In the last year I’ve only put 2000 miles on this car after having the clutch and another shit load of work done to it(the car was perfect until this week).
This week I put in a new battery and a rear passenger window regulator, to be honest the car get a servicing once a year, and has never failed me.
But it is a 14 year old car with 127000 miles on it, so do I continue to spend $2000+ a year for repair of problem this car may/will develop as it gets older?
I'm interested in your opinions on what/when you guys decide to let a car go

pb_foots Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:07 am

let it go when it costs more to maintain than you are willing to spend.

I have a 1996 Chevy Impala SS (177K) that I bought new. I don't drive it much anymore, but it looks great, never gives me any trouble, and doesn't cost that much to keep for those times when I want to go fast.

My 2003 Mazda 6 (160K) is my daily, and costs almost nothing to keep. If and when it starts giving me more trouble than I am willing to deal with, it will go. it's given me enough and doesn't owe me anything at this point.

I guess my point is that for 2K a year if you like driving the car, it's still cheaper than a car payment. An '01 Passat is a nice driver.

I'd be more suspect of the NB. My 2001 broke my wife's heart. Most unreliable car I've owned in the last 20 years. 15 times in the shop in 2 years, I traded it for the Mazda and took a bath just to get rid of it.

VOLKSWAGNUT Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:16 am

There is no real monitary value in the Passat...maybe only sentimental value.
There is reason the word mental is in sentiMENTAL...

Vehicles are meant to be driven, if they sit around unused they can even rot from inside out.
Non use is just as hard on them. Fluids break down, moisture builds, things seize from lack of movement.

There is a point...when a non use non value car cost more to maintain and keep than its worth.
That's when its enough. Sounds like you are there.

drscope Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:42 am

$2,000 a year to maintain a car that is old but already paid for versus probably $500 a month for a new car payment for the next 5 or 6 years....

And that new car is gonna need maintenance too!

Bottom line, we don't have a crystal ball. Only YOU know what your situation really is and how much trouble you are willing to put up with.

hitest Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:58 pm

The time to sell: When your like for a car plunges below its value.

I love my '63 beetle- can't imagine selling it though it will cost me lots of money sometime. My 2007 FJ Cruiser? I enjoyed building it for serious off-road work, but the thrill is gone. It still has value- but my heart's not in it anymore.

vdubjim Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:31 am

if an auto, DUMP IT.

Gary Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:00 am

ach60 wrote: When to say enough?
I’m sitting here at age 54 with 3 VW’s to my name a ’78 Convertible, a ’01 Passat, ’05 NB Convertible.
The question is being asked concerning how long to keep the Passat.
The Passat wagon is ’01 GLX 5 speed V6 with 127000 miles. The timing Belt etc. have 12000 on them since done, and a new clutch etc. was installed 2000 miles ago.
In the last year I’ve only put 2000 miles on this car after having the clutch and another shit load of work done to it(the car was perfect until this week).

What, in addition to the clutch, is considered "a shitload of work"?

Quote: This week I put in a new battery and a rear passenger window regulator, to be honest the car get a servicing once a year, and has never failed me.

Batteries last four years tops, and anything longer is a bonus. That falls under routine maintenance.
The window regulator is an incidental item. These things happen.

Quote: But it is a 14 year old car with 127000 miles on it, so do I continue to spend $2000+ a year for repair of problem this car may/will develop as it gets older?

14 years with 127,000 miles? As you mentioned, the car has had recent service along with a new clutch. Again, these fall under routine maintenance although you'll have divide the cost by the service interval to get an idea of what the per month cost it.

Quote: I'm interested in your opinions on what/when you guys decide to let a car go

Sounds to me like you have a reliable vehicle that will last up to 300,000 with regular maintenance. As others have pointed out, $2,000 or so per year is much cheaper than a car payment or even the amount spent if paying cash (either new or used). You know the service history, which is a big plus.

Drive it into the ground.

wcfvw69 Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:52 am

One thing not mentioned is when you have a new or newer car, your car insurance is MUCH higher as is your registration fees. With your 01 Passat, your registration fee's and insurance (limited miles) makes it pretty cheap to keep around, especially if you've already absorbed the expense of the repairs you mentioned.

gt1953 Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:42 pm

I would bet that a lot of members have older vehicles we purchased new and know vehicles list of issues or non issues. I would like a new truck without the payments or as wcfvw69 mentions the insurance and fees associated with a new vehicle. The last set of tires on the truck were old safety told me to replace them. Like mentioned a maintenance item. Keep the Passatt

luckystiff Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:39 am

i'd sell the future money pit New Beetle vert and keep the passat.

Volks Wagen Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:55 pm

Drive it until it seizes.

shortride Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:56 am

I bought a new 1988 VW Golf GTI. It had 265,000 miles on it when I sold it. The new owner drove it home in 2003 and was still driving it the last time I saw him.