TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1963 Deluxe Insurance Upgrade
Scotts 63 23 Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:38 am

It's time to renew my insurance on my bus. I use Hagerty's. They asked for current photos since I want to increase my replacement coverage. I currently have $25,000 on the policy. Not sure how high they will let me go until they review the photos. Any idea what amount I should try to get?

EDragnDean Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:58 am

You should get a policy worth the value of your car. Hagerty does stated value policies. Unless of course your bus is only worth $25k... I'll just buy it and save you the trouble. :lol:

Douglas Denlinger Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:13 pm

Scott,

The last one I sent thru Hagerty they would only allow a value of $125k.

Clearly selling prices for number one cars are $175k-250k or more for extra special units.

They are taking the auction averages for much lesser quality buses.

Your bus should be insured for at least $125k.

busdaddy Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:42 pm

Douglas Denlinger wrote: Your bus should be insured for at least $125k.
Agreed, although it may not sell instantly today at that price what does the future hold? and what will it cost you to find a replacement and bring it to a similar level if it's suddenly gone and you want another one right now?, asspain and time is worth something too.

Nice bus BTW :wink:

Scotts 63 23 Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:28 pm

Douglas Denlinger wrote: Scott,

The last one I sent thru Hagerty they would only allow a value of $125k.

Clearly selling prices for number one cars are $175k-250k or more for extra special units.

They are taking the auction averages for much lesser quality buses.

Your bus should be insured for at least $125k.

Hi Doug,

Nice to hear from you. Been a long time. I haven't been following bus prices and didn't know what value to place on my bus. As you can see, it's a nice bus but not the level that you deal with in your restorations, completely original buses etc. I have no intention of selling and just wanted to give Hagerty a number that was fair. They told me that they wouldn't be able to guarantee the replacement value without current photos, so I just took these. $125 seems way out of line or maybe I am out of touch. Thanks.