TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Anchor points Cut them off?
Miaghia Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:49 pm

When you update the interior with new carpet, should the metal button anchor points for the old carpetat be ground off flush?? These things seem useless and dumb under a new carpet kit!!

Thanks for comments and guidance

Mike

Miaghia Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:51 pm

Meant to say carpet / mat

jwold Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:39 pm

What if you wish to add rubber mats to protect the carpet later?

Miaghia Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:20 pm

I don't foresee mats that would fasten to these. Mainly because I would have to cut a big button hole in my brand new carpet. I have not see a single carpet install pic in the gallery that has them poking thru. Looking for someone who has installed new carpet to just confirm that they cut the useless things off. I guess I could punch circles out of the carpet padding and just span over the top of the buttons. Just don't know why I would ever want or need them.

retrowagen Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:28 pm

The great thing about having mats instead of permanent carpets is that they can be removed to dry things out more quickly and easier, when the KG leaks. Notice I said "when," not "if?" KG's are like submarines and dams: they all leak, and if they didn't, there would be a problem! :lol:

c21darrel Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:49 pm

They are for rubber mats not carpet. Leave them, a future owner will be happy you did. Carpet goes under.

Miaghia Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:50 pm

Where can I buy these mats? How big of a hole do I cut thru the carpet?

c21darrel Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:06 pm

Samba member Lemke makes them.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=152358&start=40

Miaghia Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:09 pm

I have read about lemke and how you pay and never get any product. Not too excited about that.

lonotch Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:23 pm

Put some padding with the hole cut for the mat then put the carpet on top of the padding so the carpet lays flush, no need to put a hole in the carpet and you get to keep the pins for later use if needed.

Miaghia Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:25 pm

It is decided. That is exactly what I will do. Thanks