TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Looking to buy my first Type 3..
asdad Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:41 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm a lurker who has been using the Samba for years and have found it absolutely invaluable. Thanks everyone!

I've owned a 1971 Westfalia since 2011 and have loved (almost) every minute of it. I have performed all the work myself and have been slowly updating everything. I've driven it from Canada to California and back and save for an ignition switch dying and leaving me having to hotwire the coil every time I wanted to start it on the way home, it was the perfect trip!

I'm now looking to buy another VW as my daily driver. I'm sick of high gas prices and the lure of another VW is too great. I'm looking to buy a Pre-70 Type 3 Squareback for the cargo space, the styling and an engine that shouldn't have any trouble keeping up with modern traffic. I've been searching the classifieds on here and Craigslist for about 6 months and have been paying attention to trends and prices.

This one has been up for 1-2 months now and was wondering what everyone's opinion on it was.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/4594164044.html

My main question is if the engine tin looks all there?

The price seems alright if it's in good running condition; he says it was his daily driver.

I'd be interested in putting the factory air cleaner back in, finding a used factory steering wheel, and depending on the condition of the paint and my budget, possibly repainting it to a factory code. I'm not a fan of silver vehicles and in particular I love savannah beige but a good condition vehicle is more important to me than the color. Unless that perfect car came along.. and I am willing to wait.. I think. But either way It can't hurt to learn more about this car so I'm ready for when that perfect one does turn up.

Are there any warning signs that you guys/gals can instantly see or is it worth driving across the border for a test drive and inspection? (I'm in Vancouver, BC, Canada; slim pickings up here so I've been mostly searching Washington State)

Thanks everyone in advance!

Bobnotch Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:12 pm

Well, I'll be the first to say that you won't get the stock air cleaner to fit on those carbs, as those are chinese ICT copies. To use the stock air cleaner set up, you need to run Solex carbs that are designed for it. Plus, that car is a 68, which should have FI installed. Personally, I think you're looking for a 67 and earlier car IF you want carbs. :wink:

asdad Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:26 pm

Bobnotch wrote: Well, I'll be the first to say that you won't get the stock air cleaner to fit on those carbs, as those are chinese ICT copies. To use the stock air cleaner set up, you need to run Solex carbs that are designed for it. Plus, that car is a 68, which should have FI installed. Personally, I think you're looking for a 67 and earlier car IF you want carbs. :wink:

I was afraid the carbs would be copies.. what is the general consensus: find stock solex or buy aftermarket like Webers? I see there is what looks like a complete used stock solex 'kit' in the classifieds for a little less than a dual weber kit. I have the stock solex in my Bus and have had no issues and prefer to keep it as stock as possible.

As for the fuel injection, I would like the stock FI but if it's been taken out is it worth piecing back together if it's not a restoration project?

asdad Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:10 pm

After some searching, it seems like going with a Weber ICT kit designed for the type 3 is the way to go for me. That way I don't have to worry about problems with potentially worn out used solexs.

To convert back to fuel injection looks to be a large undertaking and my main goal is to enjoy driving the car; my bus is still my project vehicle for now.

asesapie Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:52 pm

The car looks to be solid. If you buy webers be sure to buy the CB Performance kit. Check around for hidden rust under the headlights as I found that in mine and it seems to be a common place.

There's always room to knock him down a bit as he has had the car listed for so long.

Brent Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:53 am

asdad wrote: After some searching, it seems like going with a Weber ICT kit designed for the type 3 is the way to go for me. That way I don't have to worry about problems with potentially worn out used solexs.

To convert back to fuel injection looks to be a large undertaking and my main goal is to enjoy driving the car; my bus is still my project vehicle for now.

Looks like a clean car from the pics.

On the carbs, I really doubt you'll notice any difference between whatever version of ICT's you have. In fact, I believe the EMPI kits are Weber carbs. ICT's are a real pain to tune IMO.

You'd be much better off with getting a set of rebuilt stock carbs and converting to the stock setup like Bob said. Or, dual barrel Weber IDF (or HPMX copies) as an alternative.

Bobnotch Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:06 am

asdad wrote: Bobnotch wrote: Well, I'll be the first to say that you won't get the stock air cleaner to fit on those carbs, as those are chinese ICT copies. To use the stock air cleaner set up, you need to run Solex carbs that are designed for it. Plus, that car is a 68, which should have FI installed. Personally, I think you're looking for a 67 and earlier car IF you want carbs. :wink:

I was afraid the carbs would be copies.. what is the general consensus: find stock solex or buy aftermarket like Webers? I see there is what looks like a complete used stock solex 'kit' in the classifieds for a little less than a dual weber kit. I have the stock solex in my Bus and have had no issues and prefer to keep it as stock as possible.

As for the fuel injection, I would like the stock FI but if it's been taken out is it worth piecing back together if it's not a restoration project?

I really can't say what the consensus is, as I have both Solex carbs, and Weber ICT carbs (from CB Performance). They're both very close to each other when it comes to mileage, and both seem similar in how the car runs. The ICTs seem a little better, but then they're new, but my Solexes are still very nice after all these years. Yes, you'd want to look into having the throttle shafts rebushed (their weak link), but they're very similar to what you have on your bus which makes keeping them tuned and adjusted easier, since you're familiar with them. My ICTs were installed right out of the box, and have been trouble free, even after installing them on a different engine a couple of years later. Just my take on them. I like the carbs for their simplicity myself.

Keep in mind that the Webers (or their copies) don't use the oil bath air cleaner, and won't look stock when lifting the hatch. They also have a tendency to draw warm air from around the engine too, versus having the cool air supply set up of the stock air cleaner.

As for sourcing the FI bits, that's a crap shoot or flip of the coin. Some here like it, some hate it, and some just deal with it. I'm in the last catagory, as my wife's car has it. I pieced it together about 6 years ago, and had spent about 4 years gathering all of the parts (cheaper that way :wink: ). It runs good though, and has nice low end torque (compared to the carbed cars).

But, it's biggest weak point is the harness. By now most are hard and brittle, and are usually spliced and diced back together. This is a bad thing for reliability, as the FI system on t-3s was a "resistance based system". Add in those PO hacks, and it leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths. :shock: Fortunately, Joe (JSM Engineering) is making harnesses for our cars, which gets rid of that problem. Ideally, IF you want to go back to FI, then you want to find all of the bits for the 68-69 system, as that set up seems to be the most built proof. :D Keep in mind that it'll only gain you 2 to 3 mpgs over the carb set up though.

It looks like a nice looking car. You'd have to go thru the buyers guide in the FAQ sticky at the top of the forum page to look for rust. And rust is the big issue with these cars, as nobody is making repop sheet metal, other than the Gerson floor pans. This means that any metal replacement needed will be either used or NOS. :shock: So, you want to find the cleanest, most complete, unmolested car you can afford.
I hope this helps.

Mike Fisher Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:56 am

It looks like the square from Lebanon, OR at the Springfield Show a couple years ago. Buy it and drive it home!

Erik G Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:04 am

I came across that car while searching for the elusive early sunroof squareback. If I were local, I'd at least go check it out and take it for a test drive. Silver isnt stock, but it looks nice. Sounds like the carbs were already rebuilt and ready to go, so I don't understand the questioning there. Yeah, not optimal carbs but they should work just fine, especially in your not so hot climate

good luck

JeeJeeJason Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:00 am

Damn, seems to be a good deal for that square. I wish I had found that one when I was looking!

*rant* I hate speakers that are cut into door cards like that...ack!

Looks like a clean car, good find!

Jason