TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Exhaust wrap
Fltblkbaja Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:16 pm

Anybody out there using exhaust wrap on their headers? Pros, cons? I like the idea of reducing heat at the engine. Thought it might be a good idea.

Vanapplebomb Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:26 pm

There are some people who do it. While it does reduce exhaust heat radiation, it holds moisture and the pipes always seem to rust out quicker. In my opinion, exhaust wrap is not worth bothering with. There is not enough benefit to make it worth while.

Fltblkbaja Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:36 pm

That was what I was thinking too. The moisture would be the bugger

sloboatnova Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:37 pm

If the motor is in an open car like a baja, I wouldn't mess with it. Unless your wrapping a junked out looking header, then why not.

earthquake Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:14 pm

Exhaust wrap works best with stainless headers, when you use it on mild steel headers it will burn the tubing up and if you live in a wet area it will rust out twice as fast. I would look into a ceramic coating, we used "JetHot" coatings on the headers on the Cobras when I worked at one of Shelby's dealers here in Vegas, it worked so good you could put your hand on the side pipes and hold it there for a couple of seconds before you had to let go, any other brand of coating you could not touch them until the had been shut down for ten minutes. Not cheap though, make sure to mark any slip fit joints, its a PITA to grind off if you don't.

Casey

punkabillyvw Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:15 am

i use it on my dailt driver tok jusy shy of 50 ft roll for 1 5/8 exhaust. i painted i with vht first then wrapped the exhaust. with wrap on it the surface temp is between 15 to 20 degrees cooler with my temp gun. you can actuallly touch the exhaust without getting instanly burned. and as far as moisture its a useless thing to worry about if it gets wet run it till it dries doesnt take long at all to cook moisture out of wrap. if it was junk and ruined parts it wouldnt be around 70+ years later. and the wraps have improved alot since the old hot rod days when they cool to have. cheap kits are still fiberglass and then you can get the better stuff thats nomex and kevlar weave that stuff works better but like everyrthing price goes up.

Bashr52 Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:30 am

A quick tip I learned about header wrap. If you want to get a really tight good loking wrap, soak it in water for a while before applying, then wrap it tight. It is easier to work with, and once it dries out, it will tighten up even more and looks really nice.

graveshaker Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:05 am

Bashr52 wrote: A quick tip I learned about header wrap. If you want to get a really tight good loking wrap, soak it in water for a while before applying, then wrap it tight. It is easier to work with, and once it dries out, it will tighten up even more and looks really nice.

I never heard of any other way to wrap headers. The directions always says water soak before wrapping.

KrAzY-BaJa Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:45 pm

i have wrap on mine. its slowly deteriorating though and I need to redo it. if I leave mine sitting in the rain, like most would put a cover over there airfilter.
I just go 1 step further. have a small rubber sheet and lay over entire engine then when rain stops start it up for a minute and it dries quickly.

Also, onmy Neighbors racecar, he wraps only the bend to a little past the spark plugs and a few inches where you would burn your arm when grabbing the dipstick :wink:

Yes install wrap soaked in water.
Wouldnt recommend if it sits for weeks with out running in the weather as it would rust obviously.

Fltblkbaja Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:00 pm

Thanks for all the help guys!