TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: starting problem
daphill52 Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:50 am

My engine will not fire to start until I release the starter. As soon as I disengage the starter, it will fire and start.. Any clues?

Luft kühl Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:29 am

A defective or mis wired ignition switch will cause the problem that you have described.

Verify that the thicker red wire is connected to #30 on the ignition switch, and the thinner red wire is connected to the #50 terminal.

Also check to see that you have +12v at the #15 terminal of the coil when the ignition is switched on. Without power here, the car will not start.

Jzsquared Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:32 am

Did you solve the issue?

daphill52 Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:24 pm

Jzsquared wrote: Did you solve the issue?

Not yet, I think that part of my problem is a fault in the electronic ignition. I have been experiencing some back firing issues even after checking timing. Haven't had much time recently to work on it. Thanks, Dan

Eric&Barb Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:47 pm

Either you have low voltage going to the coil due to voltage drop/s, or your ignition switch contact for the coil is going bad in "start" position, but is fine in "run" position.
Either can be checked by running a jumped wire from one of the rear TL running wires to the positive of the coil terminal. Then to start turn on the running lights first. If it starts right up there is something wrong with that circuit voltage.
While not a real fix, it is a quick way to get it running for the short term so you can get to the next weekend. Have had to use this trick to get other VW folks back on the road.