TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What do I do about this valve spring?
Swimthroughsand Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:24 pm

Was adjusting my valves today, all was good until I got to cylinder2 valves. The inside valve spring was spongy and I was able to spin it. My feeler gauge would just push the spring down so I could not accurately set the gap. I'm guessing it is bad. Can I just replace it by removing the rocker arm and switch the spring out with a new one? Could this have been caused by excessive heat? Is this something I need to fix before starting or driving? Thanks

modok Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:32 pm

Rusty valve springs often break. I would recommend replacing all your springs, if they all look like that.

MURZI Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:35 pm

Replace it and see what happens. The spring probably failed because of rust...one little pit can start weaken the spring.

Bring the piston to TDC and with a overhead valve compressor pull the spring. Vaseline or wheel bearing grease on the keepers will keep them in place upon reassembly. It can be done without the air pressure tool or rope trick if you are careful.

AlteWagen Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:45 pm

Looks like that engine was filled with water at some point. Time to replace ALL the springs as rust fatigue will claim another in short time.

You can use the on head spring removal tool so you dont have to break down the whole engine but with the amount of rust on the rockers and head studs I would want to see how bad the rust on the rods, cam, lifters, rings, cylinders etc is.

bugguy076 Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:45 am

Springs also can break from the engine sitting for a long time. A set of springs don't cost much, just get a set. Replace the broken one and finish replacing the others when time permits.
I replaced one on a friends buggy that had sat for about 5 years. That was 2 years ago. He has'ent brought it back for the other 7 yeat.

mark tucker Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:50 am

changem all.now. and then clean&repair the rest of the valvetrain.

ralf Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:50 am

mark tucker wrote: changem all.now. and then clean&repair the rest of the valvetrain.

i agree... look at that retaining clip for the wavy washers on the rocker shaft

dem rust , once that breaks... it will take out more than just the springs

[email protected] Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:55 am

Geebus, look at the spring to the left of the one you are focusing on....

rustybusjef Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:44 pm

Would running a thermostat help to keep moisture out of the engine ?

Hotrodvw Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:14 pm

Looking at the rocker box, makes me wonder what the inside of the motor looks like. :shock: