TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Help! Are Notch back windows now extinct out there? Page: 1, 2  Next
j2004r1 Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:33 pm

Had the delightful experience last week of trying to install my Notch's back window that the body shop gave me back with my car when it got out of paint about 7 months ago. Only to be disappointed when realizing it was the wrong window!! It's much smaller so my guess, Ghia?? Nevertheless, the shop doesn't have my original anymore. After combing Samba day and night now with no luck I resorted to Craigslist and found one last Saturday, drove an hour to go pick it up only to get home and learn the guy sold me a FRONT windshield. :x Back to Samba and found a shop up in Auburn, CA that has a couple but he's not willing to ship and that's about an 8hr drive for me. Come on guys, there has to be someone who knows someone that has an old Notch sittin up somewhere or had a Notch that has a back window they'd be willing to sell. Can anybody help me out there complete my restoration??? I am willing to drive, just not 8hrs, for one or pay for shipping. Thanks all!!

KTPhil Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:44 pm

If your agreement with the body shop was to get a window from them, tell them to make the 8 hour trip.
:evil:

j2004r1 Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:27 pm

Well, the window I expected back was my original they took out. But because it has been 7+ months, he says "it's the law that over 30 days items left in a shop they are not responsible for". Mind you the glass he did give me back with my car was the wrong one and I just found this out last week when trying to install it...He's looking for it now but I doubt it's still around and I rather not deal with the headache of the battle trying to get them to retrieve a replacement. My fault for not double checking everything once it was originally returned. Lesson learned!!!

marchi Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:02 pm

Get with ISP West best source out there to find stuff next to word of mouth

j2004r1 Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:28 pm

Already have hit up ISP. At $350 + shipping which is more like $400+, just a little too pricey wouldn't you agree?

KTPhil Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:02 pm

How long was it in the shop being painted? The whole 7 months? Then the 30 day clock didn't start until you picked up the car, without a window!

If that is what they are trying to pull on you, contest payment on your credit card, or files a small claims suit ($75 in California) and see how fast they drop that $hit.

I am not sue happy, but that excuse is lame, especially since they had your contact information.

Just give them the estimate from ISPWest and watch them work a deal to get you your window pronto.

Please post the name of the shop in the feedback forum once the smoke clears.

j2004r1 Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:33 pm

First, they had the car for about 6 months before i was able to pick it back up. I've had the car back now for over 7 months. So yes, 30 days was about 6 months ago. I just rather not deal with anymore headache then I already have in the past trying to retrieve many other parts of mine throuout the time they had my car so I wish to just put it behind me, take it as a lesson learned and try to find another solution elsewhere.

flyinglow94 Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:41 pm

Bill and Steves in Downey has them some times 1800-254-4897, they used to be the type 3 experts back in the 80s/90s.

Bobnotch Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:01 am

You could try contacting Joel (Boo-Koo-Z) in Washington, and see IF he has one.

KTPhil Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:37 am

So they returned the car with the wrong back window? This was not abandonment by you, it was an error by them.

Unless there is more to the story, I'd buy a window elsewhere, then call them up and offer to split the difference... or watch them pay all of it in Small Claims Court.

j2004r1 Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:23 am

flyinglow94 wrote: Bill and Steves in Downey has them some times 1800-254-4897, they used to be the type 3 experts back in the 80s/90s.
Hadn't tried Bill n Steve's yet. I'll give them a shot but they've yet to have anything I've needed for my T3 that I've gone to them for...

j2004r1 Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:25 am

Bobnotch wrote: You could try contacting Joel (Boo-Koo-Z) in Washington, and see IF he has one.
Reached out to Boo-Koo with no luck at that turn either. He's had a few folks askin him lately for one. I thought he was a sure shot given all the other hard-to-find parts I've scored from him over the past year!

j2004r1 Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:32 am

KTPhil wrote: So they returned the car with the wrong back window? This was not abandonment by you, it was an error by them.

Unless there is more to the story, I'd buy a window elsewhere, then call them up and offer to split the difference... or watch them pay all of it in Small Claims Court.
That's exactly it, they returned the wrong back window. Nothing else to the story. I totally agree they should still be held liable, I just don't have the time or patience to deal with the whole SCC scenario. Not that it's much different than all the time it's taking me to source a new window. ](*,)

ataraxia Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:39 am

j2004r1 wrote: flyinglow94 wrote: Bill and Steves in Downey has them some times 1800-254-4897, they used to be the type 3 experts back in the 80s/90s.
Hadn't tried Bill n Steve's yet. I'll give them a shot but they've yet to have anything I've needed for my T3 that I've gone to them for...

That's because back in the 80's and 90's the people working in the store were adults who owned and knew about VW's...now they're just kids who drive Hondas. I've been in there twice in the last year and both times it was a hassle for anyone to help me buy something from them.

In 1986, I practically built a whole 1965 Squareback from parts at their old store.

j2004r1 Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:48 am

ataraxia wrote: j2004r1 wrote: flyinglow94 wrote: Bill and Steves in Downey has them some times 1800-254-4897, they used to be the type 3 experts back in the 80s/90s.

That's because back in the 80's and 90's the people working in the store were adults who owned and knew about VW's...now they're just kids who drive Hondas. I've been in there twice in the last year and both times it was a hassle for anyone to help me buy something from them.

In 1986, I practically built a whole 1965 Squareback from parts at their old store.
Yeah, sometimes sad how the VW customer service world turns!!

chizucc Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:09 am

I'd get the one from ISP West now. Anything notchback specific will be hard to find. Especially that rear window....either that or hope it comes up on the samba....it'll still cost you close to $300.

j2004r1 Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:00 am

Agreed and I think that's the route i'm gonna take if nothing pops up soon.

TMI Products Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:04 am

Maybe try Interstate in lake elsinore or the Pomona Swap meet is Sunday.

j2004r1 Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:06 am

Tried Interstate few days back and nothing. The very few Notch's they ever get are typically sold as "whole cars". I may in fact try Pomona this weekend tho!

flyinglow94 Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:25 pm

ataraxia wrote: j2004r1 wrote: flyinglow94 wrote: Bill and Steves in Downey has them some times 1800-254-4897, they used to be the type 3 experts back in the 80s/90s.

HaHa, We all had to grow up and get real jobs. Stew owns Kustem 1 Pat works for IAP and Bill and Steves on weekends And I moved out of state. But it was the beast job I ever Had.