TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bumper brackets:why triple blade rear, but double in front?! Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
alex857 Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:25 pm

Hi there,
I have a 1961 ragtop with US spec bumpers which were avilable as option in Germany too. The bumper brackets must have been replaced some time ago. I found that the US rear bumper brackets had triple "blades" (picture stolen from the gallery):

European bumpers had only double blades both in front and rear.

But for the front bumpers, there are only double brackets - also in US bugs (picture stolen from the gallery):

Any idea why Nordhoff wanted triple blades in the rear, but only double blades in front?!

VOLKSWAGNUT Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:35 pm

For the potential extra weight of pulling a trailer ... using the accessory trailer hitch :?:

:-k I've never had a need to know why.. just know that they are... :lol:

79SuperVert Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:46 pm

I never noticed that but now I'm intrigued, too. That makes the rear brackets stiffer than the front, and more resistant to deformation if the bumper gets hit (or if they are towing a trailer).

Were the rear brackets always triple in US Beetle production?

VOLKSWAGNUT Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:49 pm

Lets think about this a second..,

European spec bumpers are lower blades only
... while US spec bumpers have overriders... Hmmmmm

Gotta be something there.....

Probably some US Crash Safety regulation... :x

Interesting.....I've never known that rear euro bumper brackets were different than US bumper brackets..
Must be another penny pinch VW corperate move to save on production.
Plus it saves the steel for other uses..

Pure speculation...

Hotrodvw Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Because the likelihood of being rear ended is HIGH.

79SuperVert Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:56 pm

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote: European spec bumpers are lower blades only
... while US spec bumpers have overriders... Hmmmmm

Gotta be something there.....

Probably some US Crash Safety regulation... :x

That would have made rear crash safety regulations more stringent than front, which sounds odd. Why not require triple brackets front and rear?

rusty60 Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:05 pm

front protecting spare tire, rear protecting motor??? just a thought????

VOLKSWAGNUT Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:18 pm

79SuperVert wrote:

That would have made rear crash safety regulations more stringent than front, which sounds odd. Why not require triple brackets front and rear?

Who says US regulations ever make sense...

A Beetle in the US being surrounded by the Detroit Iron of the times... maybe the extra laminate helped invoke a pinball like re-action... :lol:

Possibly a rear end regulation for being rear ended...by the aforementioned.

60ragtop Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:21 pm

yeah, right that extra piece of metal is going to help in a collision :lol:
American style bumpers always had the triple bracket in the rear. As to why ? Another mystery that probably never be solved except for opinions :wink:

alex857 Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:23 pm

so the protection was better when someone rear-ended you than when you were the agressor yourself? :-)

VOLKSWAGNUT Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:23 pm

60ragtop wrote: Another mystery that probably never be solved except for opinions :wink:

Somedamnbody knows why.... but he's surely dead by now..
Probably rear ended in Europe... :lol:

60ragtop Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:26 pm

he shoulda ordered the US spec rear bumper then he could enlighten us as to why :lol:

VOLKSWAGNUT Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:30 pm

60ragtop wrote: he shoulda ordered the US spec rear bumper then he could enlighten us as to why :lol:

What ?.. and pay the added cost.... ppfffff ....yeah right...

Maybe Andy has the answer....... hell he's got the VW refinments "Bible" :wink:

rusty60 wrote: front protecting spare tire, rear protecting motor??? just a thought????

So... US engines are more valueable... is that what you're saying.. huh?..huh?? :lol:

Sorry to side track with all the BS... (not really).. :oops:
I actually find this topic interesting as well as entertaining...
I like learning stuff... :popcorn:

alex857 Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:35 pm

OK, my thread created what we Germans call "Problembewusstsein" - we got aware of a question or problem. I am happy that I can stop my desperate search for triple blade front bumper brackets :-)
Thank you everyone!

VOLKSWAGNUT Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:38 pm

Its actually an interesting question..

Problembewusstsein = awareness.. (thank you google translate =D> )
and...Yes ...yes it has....

drscope Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:01 pm

They probably figured the cars would be pushed rather then be doing the pushing, so added strength was needed in the rear.

Maybe it had something to do with the curvature difference of the bumpers.

61SNRF Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:23 am

I was under the impression that only the Standards had two leave rear brackets, and Deluxe had three?

Any case, perhaps it's because the rear brackets are considerably longer than the fronts, requiring a third lamination to obtain the desired stiffness.

KTPhil Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:07 am

61SNRF wrote: Any case, perhaps it's because the rear brackets are considerably longer than the fronts, requiring a third lamination to obtain the desired stiffness.

Ding-ding-ding, we have a winner!

hitest Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:41 am

KTPhil wrote: 61SNRF wrote: Any case, perhaps it's because the rear brackets are considerably longer than the fronts, requiring a third lamination to obtain the desired stiffness.

Exactly the response I was looking for too. Longitudinal rigidity only. Two's fine for the minimal crash-worthiness from either end. VW did not design their cars to be tow vehicles- we are responsible for such idiocy after the initial sale- and have insisted on accessories to do so.

That, and it provides VW with more entertainment when we try to fit the rubber gaskets around the rears.

VOLKSWAGNUT Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:48 am

hitest wrote: [
Exactly the response I was looking for too. Longitudinal rigidity only. Ts.

It always seems you come in a topic after you've been lurking the whole time.... :lol:

KTPhil wrote: 61SNRF wrote: Any case, perhaps it's because the rear brackets are considerably longer than the fronts, requiring a third lamination to obtain the desired stiffness.

Makes some sense to stiffen up the longer bumper brackets with more steel..
. ... BUT
the Standards and I would guess the Euro double rear brackets are the same length as the triple. ... :-k

Sooo same length.. whats the main difference.... the over riders on the Deluxe....

Gotta be something there....

More mass and plies = stiffer lowers.... overriders and guards dont weight that much...... and the upper over rider support bar folds up like a pretzel when hit on the top side hard........ so it shouldnt be for a counter leverage effect... :?
Lower triple bars on Deluxe bumpers to meet some crash test regulation worthiness????