TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How do you brew coffee in the camper? Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
guggenheim Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:39 pm

Just wondering what technique people use to enjoy fresh coffee.

What do you use?

adamjjohn203 Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:40 pm

French press and sometimes cold brew

SCM Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:47 pm

We use the Starbucks "Via" instant coffee packs. We tried a percolator and French press but the cleanup was a pain. Most of the time our camp mornings are a bit hurried as we try to get out for a bike ride etc. so "quick, easy, and good enough" is what we've settled on.

When camping with our coffee snob friends we usually try to horn in on their stash too :lol:

GWTWTLW Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:52 pm

French Press...

photogdave Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:57 pm

Used to use a French press but last year switched to a mocha pot for espresso-like coffee. Strong but no crema.
Works good for us because while the coffee is brewing on one burner we can use the kettle on the other to boil water for porridge etc.

rym Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:07 pm

French press for several coffees..

Aeropress for single coffees..

Hario ceramic burr grinder for both.

One day... Some how.. when I figure out how to get my pavoni europiccola modified to run the boiler on propane and mount it next to a beer tap in the westy. On board co2 tank for carbonating the beer and filling the tires! Ha.. One day?

dobryan Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:07 pm

Aeropress, not a poll choice.

kamzcab86 Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:08 pm

I don't; can't stand the smell of the stuff, let alone the taste. I brew hot chocolate with marshmallows on cold mornings.

However, when Mom comes along, she also uses:

SCM wrote: We use the Starbucks "Via" instant coffee packs.

...along with other brands.

TequilaSunSet Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:11 pm

Down and dirty poor mans mocha!
Boil water... add Folgers, Tasters Choice or Starbucks instant etc... add chocolate espresso powder, put it all in a 16oz Thermos brand coffee travel mug (stays hot up to 6 hours!)

Tastes good... Cheap... easy... just like me :lol: :D

Westified Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:14 pm

Melitta single server coffee funnel with disposable #2 filters. Boil water pour in disposable filter with one scoop of coffee and you have a fresh cup fast. You can get the filters at the grocery store. :D

http://www.hammernutrition.com/images/products/assets/zoom/top.jpg

Ahwahnee Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:16 pm

Instant -- I like coffee but for me it is essentially a delivery system for caffeine.

shadetreetim Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:26 pm

I have a Farberware Percolator, and usually use the Coleman Stove outside the van. But, I'm getting tired of the mess afterward. Need to figure out a better system. Personally, I don't mind Folger's Instant, but Lady Shadetree does not agree... hence the dilemma.

I've long thought I should find a plastic tube I could slide a Kuerig cup in, have a little stop inside for it to rest on. Perforate the top and bottom of the K-cup, and pour hot water through it. \:D/ Storage and cleanup would be a breeze. Everybody is happy.

**EDIT** After typing the above I googled it and came up with this. Where have I been all this time?

http://www.amazon.com/Cafejo-MFP011KBRZI-French-Si...4SACGNQ5SV

or this
http://www.amazon.com/The-Kupper-coffee-without-Automatic/dp/B00DPO2KQ0

Gruppe B Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:37 pm

For a pot of coffee I use a stainless steel perculator.

If I want espresso, lattes or cappuccinos I use a stove top Bialetti Moka pot

Nothing against french press coffee but I prefer the taste of a properly made cup of coffee from a perculator :P

Alex Proulx Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:45 pm

French press, it fits in the kettle for storage so no extra room is lost.
We love our morning coffee :D
Alex

nacradriver Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:57 pm

One of the only times I can sit and enjoy a good cup of "lifer juice" is when we're camping... We use an Old Skool stove top peculator.

I will usually "snob out" and get a few of the single serving specialty coffees from Pete or Coffee Bean....

kalispell365 Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:20 pm

Aeropress.
The best cup of Americano weve EVER had, even better than my Breville commercial espresso machine in the house. :shock:

morymob Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:20 pm

If I want fresh I use the pot I have perked in since my 70 bay days, get er ready night before, fire up in morn & the smell gets u going ,

MarkWard Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:21 pm

We bought one of these in a hardware store in Europe many years ago. It uses disposable filters and we use the same drip type coffee we use at home. We have an old blue steel cowboy coffee pot that we boil the water in and then pour the boiling water through the filter right into two large insulated cups. That and a bowl of cereal and we are on our way. Requires no power and easy clean up. We boil a little extra water for rinsing everything after breakfast. Neat and Quick.

williamM Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:27 pm

Like the drip with timer- so when "plugged in", its the alarmclock.[img][/img]

blemon Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:38 pm

I voted press but we also drip on the Melita plastic if we don't want much. When we camp with friends we have a larger percolator we use on the camp chef or the fire if we're having a really slow morning.

I bought a small plug in water boiler and need to get an adaptor for the cigarette lighter for when we're off electric. That's fast. When we're not plugged in we boil water on the camp chef.

So we typically travel with several ways to brew coffee (mr.) or tea (me).

There's always room!

Also we have a hand grinder for the beans.