TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Seats for fat people
volksrodney Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:48 pm

Hey.
think I'm getting me a 73 super in a day or two. Its sweet but the seats are a little loose and he said the seat rails are worn. No biggie as I'm 5'11 350lbs and would love a little more comfy set of seats.
I cant swing a ton of loot but wondered if there's seats anyones tried out thats outfall a reg car that might be more comfy? Got a few pick n pulls and salvage yards around so I may get lucky. Tnx...vr

Glenn Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:50 pm

Most likely the plastic bushings on the bottom of the seat are broken or missing.

Easy $10 fix.

VW_Buggsy Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:33 am

The only vintage vw seats I really liked were the old vw low back seats but those are spendy and hard to find. They are also just as much trouble to mount a later vw as non vw seats. I don't worry about original usually either. I usually just hit the pick and pull and get seats from any small 2 door that fit the basic criteria:

Look good and match interior
Mount in a way that I can fabricate a bracket for
Clean, or will clean up well (no brains, blood, or other fluids)
Generally small
No electronics or airbags (though you could wire electronic adjustment stuff if you wanted)

My latest project is using seats from some 2 door Saturn, though they are not my fave that I've used and they had an odd mounting method i had deal with. I think my personal favorite were from a 2 door Ford focus.

Being able to weld and have basic fab skills helps with mounting random junk yard seats.