TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: fan shroud advice
DON@THEO Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:52 pm

Need some advice on a fan shroud I have a 1776 dp motor in a rail found one listed as early style dog house fan shroud now i know it dont have heater duct which i like i dont need them anything possibly wrong in using it heres a link
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1669537

Glenn Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:55 pm

That's an aftermarket shroud.

Personally it's run a real late model Dog House shroud and block off the fresh air outlets.

DON@THEO Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:00 pm

is there a problem being a aftermarket shroud not looking at it because it dont have fresh air ports need a shroud and hes in my state will having lowest shipping

craigman Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:03 pm

Glenn wrote: That's an aftermarket shroud.

Personally it's run a real late model Dog House shroud and block off the fresh air outlets.

According to your buddy Jake, your never supposed to block off the outlets.

Glenn Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:05 pm

craigman wrote: Glenn wrote: That's an aftermarket shroud.

According to your buddy Jake, your never supposed to block off the outlets.
Ran like that for years and never a problem. But then i also had J tubes and not heater boxes.

OP... never a fan of aftermarket shrouds.

Brian Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:30 pm

I like OG shrouds, they've always done the job well because they were designed well to work with the motor.

BUT, from what I have read; there is no reason to not use a 36hp style shroud.

Glenn Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:52 am

Brian wrote: I like OG shrouds, they've always done the job well because they were designed well to work with the motor.

So you're assuming the manufacturer did as much research as the engineers at VW.

That's a bad assumption.

Brian Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:10 am

Quote: So you're assuming

I assume empi wouldn't, but VW probably did.
I can't find it, but there is a good picture of a Scat shroud that shows all the veins as well.

bgs Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:21 am

Glenn wrote: Brian wrote: I like OG shrouds, they've always done the job well because they were designed well to work with the motor.

So you're assuming the manufacturer did as much research as the engineers at VW.

That's a bad assumption.

Spot on ! VW spent many a dollar and hrs upon hrs in
research then producing the most efficient cooling shroud
avail. They didn't want to be libel for lawsuits due to
cooling issues. VW OEM late model dog house shrouds
are the only way to go.

dustymojave Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:30 pm

The issue here is that some of the aftermarket shrouds have NO internal vanes to direct the air flow. THAT is what is wrong with some. A fella COULD add vanes if he wanted to go to the effort. Not likely to be as good as factory. Or one could take the front of a 36hp aftermarket shroud and the back panel of a factory late model with vanes and put them together...

For my race car you se in my avatar, I used the original 36hp shroud from my 58 Baja without a doghouse cooler. The external cooler always worked plenty well. For my Baja Bug, I use it often as a DD and in the winter so it needs heater boxes. YES it DOES get cold enough here in the SoCal Mojave Desert to need a heater!! I've driven it from home in -6°F. So it has late model T1 doghouse with heater ports and late model heater boxes.