TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: License Plate Bracket 66 Bug
AZ66Bug Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:52 pm

A local shop sold us we they told us was an original rear license plate bracket for our 66 bug. Clearly this is not the correct part - maybe for a van? Does anyone have a picture or template of a correct piece? I think this one can be salvaged but I'd like to see what the correct part looks like. thanks

sixfootdan Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:49 am

Should look like this.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1631864

61SNRF Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:27 am

This bracket looks like the type that would fit a '64-'66, but it is for a later model with the larger light housing.
With some careful measuring and cutting on the upper section, it might be made to fit your early light.

VOLKSWAGNUT Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:40 am

License plate mount style was dealer discretion and dealer installed. (like radio antennas)
There are many "styles" that were used thoughout all the countries VW shipped cars to.

The bolt on version sixfootdan noted is the most common for 64-67 found in the USA..

I agree... a little trimming and you will have just what you want..
(IMO if you want to trim.. trim the slots sideways like they are already just narrow it to fit. )

From the gallery.. and some info

Notice how it slides up and has a center hook.

Keith wrote:

Yes, sorry ...its really not that common and I should have said that the sandwhich style is more commonly used on '63 and down bugs. I mean honestly out of how many "x "number of bugs using the other style brackets below, how many have you seen with the sandwhich style on '64 up? Not many I'm sure.

Regardless, it was up to the dealer to decide what they used and where they put it.

AZ66Bug Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:38 am

I guess that makes sense as a dealer install since plates are different all over the world. The more common ones that you have to drill for might be a little cleaner look. Thanks for the info.

Kalapaki Papa Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:46 am

I'd play it like this....
Is your deck lid already drilled for some sort of bracket? If no, then go with the one your shop offered and modify it to fit.

If your deck lid is pre drilled...and you can't find the bracket that fits those holes...make your own from some 1" aluminum stock!

As Volkswagennut said(& I'll add to the list)...lic. plate brackets(rear and front), antennas, radios, seat belts(early cars), cigarette lighters and outside mirrors were all "dealer installed" items. Many cars didn't even have a rear bracket-just the plate mounted directly to the deck lid.

Go with what suits your tastes.. :D

AZ66Bug Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:24 pm

Deck lid is NOT drilled and I'd rather not add more holes. Will reshape the one we have and see how it looks.

ThorpS18 Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:40 pm

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=ZVW17E

AZ66Bug Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:54 pm

ThorpS18 wrote: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=ZVW17E

Thanks for the link! That looks like the same piece I saw on a 66 beetle blog - and its cheaper than the one I bought used and cracked from a local shop. Think I might take it back and get the WW one. Just add it to the weekly order :)

The WW site is tough to find stuff on sometimes. I've stumbling on to needed pieces that no amount of search and looking at their diagrams could solve.

vdubmyk Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:31 am

AZ66Bug wrote: ThorpS18 wrote: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=ZVW17E

Thanks for the link! That looks like the same piece I saw on a 66 beetle blog - and its cheaper than the one I bought used and cracked from a local shop. Think I might take it back and get the WW one. Just add it to the weekly order :)

The WW site is tough to find stuff on sometimes. I've stumbling on to needed pieces that no amount of search and looking at their diagrams could solve.
I bought the WW one and it didn't match up exactly to my old one. The old one was pitted but still useable but I decided to get a new one because the metal was thicker. I luckily still had the old one and with some trimming and grinding, I was able to match the contour exactly.

Busstom Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:25 pm

Kalapaki Papa wrote: {snip} Many cars didn't even have a rear bracket-just the plate mounted directly to the deck lid.
Wow! :shock: Who woulda thunk it? And all this time I just thought some butcher hacked my '65 deck lid (my license plate is screwed directly to the sheet metal, and it's pretty damn straight). Perhaps it was a dealer install!

It makes sense: the car is largely unmolested, save for a single hole for some damn speaker wires, just under the front kick area.

:-k Hmmm, what to do with this new WW license plate bracket...