TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Bad exhaust/carb combo?
shifty6d Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:53 am

I've got a '63 buggy that I'm putting a 1600 in and want it all chromed out and flashy since it will be a street rig. Really wanting to run something a little unique like Bugpacks powerpipes http://bugpack.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=648 and dual carbs. with a Engle 110 or something similar. I think I read somewhere that dual carbs are a nightmare to tune without a scavenging exhaust system though. I'm not looking for max efficiency/power but I don't want it to look killer but be a pain to drive. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Brian Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:13 am

They're terrible for performance and are loud as hell. Like loud.

Why not one of these:

Northof49 Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:37 am

Dual carbs eliminate the need for a heat riser from the exhaust to the intake manifold. If you buy quality dual carbs, they are fairly low maintenance. A lot of the problems occur on the initial install. Carbs with plugged passages from the factory. Or people that are way off on their jetting. If you do your homework, dual carbs will be great.

esde Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:40 am

The irony that they call those "power pipes".. that couldn't be further from the truth.

RHough Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:49 am

esde wrote: The irony that they call those "power pipes".. that couldn't be further from the truth.

Loud pipes and a "+5 HP" sticker are good for picking up car-hops at A&W?

:P

modok Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:12 pm

Use a mild cam with stupid exhaust. 110 cam OR stupid exhaust, not both!

shifty6d Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:40 pm

Brian wrote: They're terrible for performance and are loud as hell. Like loud.

Why not one of these:

These just are a little too cluttered to me I guess. Chrome is preferred, I got a whole retro look going, ceramic coating would be second. Also had thought of Tri-mils bobtail or bazookas.

modok wrote: Use a mild cam with stupid exhaust. 110 cam OR stupid exhaust, not both!
What defines "stupid exhaust", Anything that doesn't have a merged header?

RHough Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:34 pm

shifty6d wrote:
These just are a little too cluttered to me I guess. Chrome is preferred, I got a whole retro look going, ceramic coating would be second. Also had thought of Tri-mils bobtail or bazookas.

modok wrote: Use a mild cam with stupid exhaust. 110 cam OR stupid exhaust, not both!
I won't go so far as stupid. My personal taste in no extra noise without extra performance. More noise and less performance is pointless to *me*.

You did post the question in the Performance forum.

There is nothing at all wrong with picking your exhaust for how it looks rather than how it sounds or performs. Just don't be surprised if you have tuning issues and the first responses you get point at the exhaust as the culprit.

If the power pipes give *your* car the look *you* like, the one that makes you stop and look at the car twice every time you walk away, then those are the right exhaust for your car.

Cheers,
Randy

Lo Cash John Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:08 pm

Notice that the ad for the Powerless Pipes says "flash chrome". Now, you say you want the motor to look good? Well plan on spending an extra few hundred to have these properly chromed before you install them.

As they come, the chrome closest to the exhaust flanges will burn away the first time the motor gets run up to temp. The rest of the chrome will start to rust once the humidity gets above about 40%.

shifty6d Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:51 am

Thanks Lo Cash, I was wondering what flash chrome meant, and thanks to everyone else that responded. I was mainly after a retro look that wasn't going to cause me a nightmare. A vehicle that looks good and is no fun to drive is pointless, Was looking for something a little different but may just end up with the twin pipes that people threw on them for years, an acceptable compromise?

gt1953 Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:46 am

Just remember Chrome will not get you home.

bugnut68 Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:08 pm

[quote="shifty6d"] Brian wrote: They're terrible for performance and are loud as hell. Like loud.

Why not one of these:

What defines "stupid exhaust", Anything that doesn't have a merged header?[/quote]

To listen to a lot of the armchair parrots on the internet, there is an underlying assumption that everyone out there with a VW that's even MILDLY modified is looking to squeeze every efficiency and horsepower out of those four cylinders, which is far from the case. I used to be in that camp until I realized that some folks are going for a certain look or sound and not necessarily every last bit of power or torque known to man.

I don't care for the dune buggy duals type exhausts, as they sound more Harley-like, just like that Euro twin tip/hot-dog muffler that a lot of guys like simply because the tips come out the factory cut outs on the apron. It's an annoying sound to me, but that's simply one guy's opinion.

Not everyone shares the same vision for their projects, that's the bottom line.

bugnut68 Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:10 pm

RHough wrote: shifty6d wrote:

I won't go so far as stupid. My personal taste in no extra noise without extra performance. More noise and less performance is pointless to *me*.

You did post the question in the Performance forum.

There is nothing at all wrong with picking your exhaust for how it looks rather than how it sounds or performs. Just don't be surprised if you have tuning issues and the first responses you get point at the exhaust as the culprit.

If the power pipes give *your* car the look *you* like, the one that makes you stop and look at the car twice every time you walk away, then those are the right exhaust for your car.

Cheers,
Randy

In fairness, though, there's guys on the Cal Look Lounge who talk like it's some sort of punk rock hero thing to have a loud performance car, so the noise thing is kind of relative, IMO.

A lot of those dudes think that setting off car alarms or frightening small children or elderly folks with their Magnaflow muffler and Weber IDAs makes them John Milner. :lol: