TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: A little turbo and tranny help please
savvyaggie Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:58 pm

Howdy, Im fairly new with VWs. I have a had a couple over the last 10 years, a fairly stock Baja and a couple of rails, one of which I found a frame and build it from there(I located a tranny and recently rebuild 1600SP for it)..

I have recently bought another Baja. Iy is an older build, and has been setting for a 5/7 years. The owner turned the crank regularly, as he said, but it has just set in the back of his shop.

I only recieved a small bit of info about it..

Engine.
1915(suppose to only have about 1000 miles on it, he bought the vehicle semi built, and he finished it and modified it. He has owned it for 15 years, but has lived in texas(did live in California) with nowhere to ride. So its been sitting)
Turbo kit
Aftermarket heads/cam

Transaxle.
Heavy duty side covers, close ratio, lower r&p gears(previous owner said it cost about$1100 when he bout it).

I will admit that I am a little over my head with it, I am not rear formliar with turbos, indepth engine components, and tranny internals.

I Have a few questions:

1. How do I find out what turbo kit is has?(I have looked through many sites and I cant seem to find any similiar ones(the previous owner did say that the kit was for a underhood, cuz they were out of the offroad ones when it was ordered)

2. I recent How do I find out more about engine? such as heads? turbo? etc.
(owner didnt know much, he just showed me how to adjust boost, said that the timing had to be perfect, run 93/race fuel mix, and to not get it hot).

I have owner it for about 6 months and havnt had any issues with it. I rewired it, changed fuel pump(with direct replacment), replace fuel lines, etc. I have taken it out a couple of times, and drove it a lot on the farm. but the last outing I took it on, I had a few problems.

3. I lost Reverse. I was stuck in some sand and I was trying to back out and I heard a big "POP", then no reverse. I still have all forward gears, but I hear a rattle in the tranny.. Is this something I can fix? Do I order a whole new one? Do I get it rebuild? If I get it rebuilt, then who do I use?(I live in Bryan/College Station TX)

4. I have one other issue, not my boost gauge is responding but it doesnt show positive boost any more. I will be installing new boost gauge and line within the next few days, To eliminate the obvious, But is there anything else I should be looking for?

I would like to thank you all in advance for any help. I have already received a wealth of info on this site over the last few years.

Once I figure out how, I will be posting some pics. within the the next few minutes I hope

A little background about me.

I have a decent size shop, tools, and a willingness to learn. I have built multiple other toys, including:

Sand rail, 1600cc SP, went through and replaced and or modified everything myself, except engine and tranny(I did rebuild carb, and replace exhaust, adjusted valves, timing, chrome kit, etc. Still own(running, driving, street legal). I painted it, pedals, brakes, cutting brakes, seats, belts, bushings, stering, electrical, etc.

1990 gmc 1500, with a roller SBC(423hp w/o spray), aluminum heads, nitrous(200shot), progressive controller, caltracs, cell, stall, etc. Still own,(running, driving, I just play on the strip with it(but my track closed down, so it is not being converted to street legal/kinda street legal, hehe).

1978 Dodge 1 ton power wagon, 440, 727, Dana 60/70 combo, 488 gears, etc.
(project in progress)Still own and in progress.

1988 Ford bronco 4x4 crawler, lockers, lift, body mods, etc(sold)

1974 CJ5 Jeep Crawler, IH dana 44 axles, lockers, efi, stretched wheel base, 4wheel disc. (sold)

As well as about a half a dozen other vehicles, including 1978 FJ40 1ton on 44s, 1972 chevy short wide, etc, etc, etc.

savvyaggie Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:03 pm

Im working on uploading pics right now. Its my first time doing this on here. Give me minute or two.

savvyaggie Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:25 pm

savvyaggie Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:26 pm

I will add some more pics in just a few

savvyaggie Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:42 pm

Chip Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:48 pm

Sounds like your turbo is no longer spinning. If your gauge reads vacuum, but not boost, then its not making boost. Pull the carb and manifold off, or the tail pipe and see if the turbine still spins. It should take no effort to spin it, don't force it.
I can't help with the transmission. Sorry.

As far as identifying parts goes...the turbo will probably have a serial number on it. Google search is your friend. Pop a valve cover off the head to see if there is anything cast on the inside of the head. It could have a serial number that might mean something to someone here. Otherwise, if its not broke, who cares whats in there. Just get it doing what it needs to do again and enjoy it.

savvyaggie Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:51 pm

thank you for the info. I will check the turbo the way you recommended...

It was all functioning fine before and at the beginning of the last outing, and I didn't realize the gauge was not reading boost until I was bringing it back to camp to load it on trailer. The tranny went within 10 minutes of getting it on the trail, so I really didnt push it real hard before it popped. I didnt want to drive it like it is, and possible mess the tranny up worse. This being said, I didnt push it enough to notice a difference in performance.

As far as the gauge is concerned, I thought that the line going from the engine to the gauge might have a small crack in it(from bouncing on the trail. Simply because everything is old on it, and it wouldnt surprise me.

Thank you very much

miniman82 Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:53 pm

Looks like an AJ turbo kit to me.

bugguy076 Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:46 pm

The tranny will have to be repaired. Anyone that knows VW trannys can do it. It dosen't need rebuilt, just repaired. I can't help with who, but there should be a shop near you that can help.
If your up to it, you could remove the side cover and the diff to see if it is an easy repair.

savvyaggie Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:48 pm

bugguy076 wrote: The tranny will have to be repaired. Anyone that knows VW trannys can do it. It dosen't need rebuilt, just repaired. I can't help with who, but there should be a shop near you that can help.
If your up to it, you could remove the side cover and the diff to see if it is an easy repair.

Cool, Thanks

savvyaggie Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:49 pm

miniman82 wrote: Looks like an AJ turbo kit to me.

AJ?

esde Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:56 pm

bugguy076 wrote: The tranny will have to be repaired. Anyone that knows VW trannys can do it. It dosen't need rebuilt, just repaired. I can't help with who, but there should be a shop near you that can help.

Removing the side cover and pulling the differential don't get you to where you can see whats wrong with reverse. If it's not something wrong with the hockey stick under the nose cone (unlikely) then it has to come apart to see what's going on. Not a DIY kind of affair.

pdub Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:15 pm

AJ is short for AJ Sims at Low Budget VW. You can Google the website.

Lo Cash John Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:23 pm

AJ Simms / LowBugget.com kit

http://www.lowbugget.com/turbo_new_page_link.html

savvyaggie Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:56 pm

Thank ya'll very much.

I found out some more info about the car.

I pulled the exhaust off, and the turbo seems to spin freely, it is a T3 garrett .48 exhaust and AR .42 ..

The heads are Auto Linea G03 041 heads(041 101 375.5).

madmike Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:48 am

Looks like an old skool 'Switzer turbo kit'?? and u broke the brass cradle(holds the idler gear) when u got it stuck in the sand,,,,don't get on it in reverse EVER!!!!,, easy fix for a Transmission guy, :lol:

Soundkillr Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:11 am

savvyaggie wrote: Thank ya'll very much.

I found out some more info about the car.

I pulled the exhaust off, and the turbo seems to spin freely, it is a T3 garrett .48 exhaust and AR .42 ..

The heads are Auto Linea G03 041 heads(041 101 375.5).

Is it possible your waste gate is stuck open, thus venting off all boost?