TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Do the venturis always need to come out? dual 40mm webers
NAES Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:12 pm

I know this may be elementary to many of you but dual carbs are new to me. I was having my stuck on the shelf for 20 years 40 webers redone by a local guy and he destroyed one of the bodies trying to remove the venturi. Literally pounded a hole in the side. Clearly the venturi didnt want to budge and was stuck. I fully understand that. But to not just leave them in and either work with what i have or move on to another set of bodies baffles me. I havent put up a fuss yet as I dont know if there is any reason to remove them other than to change sizes. I was hoping some of you could walk me through the finer points to see if going all out aggro was needed. The soft aluminum seems like it would be deformed and make them useless if they were that hard to get out.

if im leaving info out please let me know and Ill add it in.

modok Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:16 pm

They can become stuck. He should have gave up before ruining it.

Yeah, no reason to remove them unless to change sizes.
Should be no big deal to get another body unless it is a rare variant, what is the model number?

NAES Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:25 pm

Ill look when I get home. All i know is that its an older style italian weber with the roller cam accellerator pumps. Damn pumps were spendy alone!

we ended up using a spanish pair I had. Just curious about the busted one.

esde Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:10 pm

With carburetors, there's a point where I know that using more force will just make things worse. That point is generally a good bit lower when working on stuff that's not mine to wreck, I'm surprised he didn't call it quits when the damage started. As to removing a stuck vent, I had a pair that were stuck for good, as the carb had been in my flooded basement 6 years earlier. After I pulled the shafts, I made a hardwood dowel to fit right against the vent. Pulled all of the hardware off of the carb top so it sat solidly on my welding table, and gave it solid, squarely delivered blows with a 5 lb hammer till they gave in.

bugguy076 Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:14 pm

It might be repairable. I have seen carbs broken in crashes on miget dirt cars brought back to life. It takes a steady hand from a skilled welder along with a good machinist.

NAES Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:53 pm

Well thanks all. Not sure if the carb body is worth repairing or not. Ill keep an eye out for another at the swaps. For now I at least have a pair that are rebuilt and installed. Just need a good tune on them.

off to the dual carb sticky!

Dale M. Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:47 am

I would not let "local guy" near my car or parts again..... No reason to destroy something to fix it....

Dale