TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Dash instrument failure
14platoon Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:03 pm

So I think I got to the bottom of an alternator fault with some massive help from forum users.
While I was tracing the problem I had cause to take my speedo and various under dash parts out. While doing thus I heard a crackle and pop, now I have no wipers, blower motor for heat, horn, full beams and washers. Anyone know what is up, I can't seem to find the fault.

Beetle cabriolet 1978 1600cc

Brian Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:05 pm

Hows your fuse box?

14platoon Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:30 pm

Fuse box all looks intact. It has to be a common wire or terminal somewhere surely?

RHough Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:58 pm

14platoon wrote: Fuse box all looks intact. It has to be a common wire or terminal somewhere surely?

The common 12VDC+ is usually Red/White Tracer. Comes from Battery + or Voltage Regulator.

Good luck!

R

PumaVW79 Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:02 pm

You need to learn how to read/interpret an wiring diagram. It's not that difficult, basically +/- terminals and switches.

Dale M. Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:11 pm

When it comes to wiring. we are not there to see it!...... What we have to rely on is what you can tell us in words and hope we understand what was written....

Snap-Crackle-Pop tell us nothing about what may be going wrong with you dash wiring, but here in US, makes us think of breakfast cereal...

Understanding wiring diagrams is necessary to understand and to diagnose a problem. The Snap-Crackle-Pop sounds like something has "shorted" (cross between 12 volts (power) and ground)

Electrical wiring is sort of similar to water system plumbing...

Battery = Water storage tank.
Generator/Alternator = Pump to fill Water tank.
Switch = Water Valve (faucet).
Wire = Hose (pipe).
Light bulb = Sprinkler (kind of a stretch here).
Electrons in wire = Water flow in hose (pipe).
Broken Wire = Broken pipe (but no electrons leak).

Kind of a weird analogy, but about the best I can come up with at the moment....

The common wire you may be searching for is probably terminated at fuse panel, knowing how the fuse panel is wired (wiring diagram- if you can locate one for your year/model) can show what wires and fuses you need to look at......

Dale

14platoon Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:37 am

Again thanks for everyone's help

Found it

It turns out a very loose spade connection to the fuse box and the black and yellow wire to the ignition had come undone. This only became apparent when I took the fuse box out.
I have read and re read the wiring diagram a thousand times but the last owner has replaced and bodged wires with different colours so it's very difficult to follow a path.

Previous owners headlight wiring, this is twisted wire connection with not even electrical tape as a token effort!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1242346[/img]