TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: bus
Cptn. Calzone Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:07 pm

Today we got caught in one of the infamous south alabama rainstorm.I closed the overhead vent however water continued to come in from the overhead vent area.I have driven through some heavy rain in the past however never did it leak like this.Perhaps the seal had shrunk or broken altogether as this is probably the only seal I did not replace on this truck.Anyone have any similar expierence :?:

Stocknazi Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:31 pm

You have a seal on the flapper edge and a seal that the flapper rests against when closed. Wolfsburg West has both I believe.

The overhead vent is also seam sealed in the area where the cover is screwed on. Some years only had a foam type seal that also degrades over time. It's a good idea to re-seal this area with seam sealer.

Without a good seal water runs past the airbox and down the inside driprail causing all kinds of water/rust problems.

Cptn. Calzone Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:26 pm

Thank you ordered up the parts.

Campy Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:53 am

A temporary fix is to put duct tape over the screen on the outside above the windshields. It keeps water from getting through but you will have no air getting through, either.