TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Side-view mirror options for a 1967 bug ... custom vs stock
shawn1967bug Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:02 am

I am curious what folks have done custom vs the stock single driver's side side-view mirror?

I currently have the stock mirror on the top of the door hinge. I was thinking of maybe doing a mounted mirror off the body between the fender and the hood, chrome of course and similar in shape and size, and hopefully on both sides of the car if the eye-line works. Any ideas? Any make and model mirrors you would recommend I look at? Throw out suggestions and pictures if you got them! :D

And quickly, for the '67 purists, I am taking what I can back to stock on my girl, but I have some high quality custom stuff in the works that will hopefully make y'all smile in appreciation :) But I am not keeping her totally stock, so sorry in advance. She will be clean and respectable and when I am done, she will be smiling in her golden years ;) Thanks!

Shawn

grandpa pete Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:09 am

hot rod and streetrods used small side mirrors that mounted on the front and /or top lip of the door...held on by two allen screws

79SuperVert Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:18 am

I have read that the small mirrors that are placed down near the fenders are nearly useless when it comes to actually showing you the road behind and alongside you. The stock mirror is bad enough for that and it is much closer to the driver. The custom mirrors look nice, though. Maybe you want to have both.

Miklo Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:01 am

I can see just fine with my Albert mirrors.

It just takes a few tries to adjust them correctly. You cannot adjust them while sitting in the car.

I did have to tighten the mirror heads to the arms a bit more so they wouldn't droop with major bumps and windy situations.... Now its just people bumping into the damn things.

I also think Alberts will not fit on a 67 without drilling out the chrome trim hole for the mirror to mount.

drscope Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:42 am

I've tried several different custom mirror ideas over the years and I've never found anything that works as well as the stock set up.

Some look really cool, but don't work well to function as mirrors. The ones that fasten to the drip rail seem to always hit the door when you have them positioned where you need them to work.

Fiatdude Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:52 am

I put these mirrors on from APR Performance -- got them off E-bay -- and because they are "objects are closer than they appear" type mirrors you have very good viewing to the side/rear -- Chrome is highly overrated and requires polishing,,, LOL went with carbon fiber